MD90's off the table @ DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
any airplane from China is a potential nightmare for US certification

Latest word is that the MD-90's are off the table. The initial price sounds pretty sweet, but the cost to get them up to US specs is about the same as the acquisition cost. These -90's were made in China for the Chinese market. How about this one: apparently, there is no fire suppression for the cargo holds.

At this point, these things probably aren't worth the hassle.

I think we should scrap the 90's and get a big fleet of E-190's and 195's. If we get the 100 seater here then maybe they won't have that for negotiating power in a couple of years. A nice big fleet of E jets would help us keep that scope cap at 76 seats.

I have heard nothing from official sources that indicates the 90s are off the table. Lots of rumbling on the line that they may be off the table, but from official sources I would say the rumbling is still saying it will happen. I will say though that any rumors about a large 787 order are totally unfounded.

Really? What happened to the rumored potential order of 80+ 787s to replace the 767-300s? Why would Delta NOT want to use more fuel efficient airplanes on their long haul routes? Is it a price issue? How much longer can the 767-300s operate without becoming too maintenance-intensive?

Really? What happened to the rumored potential order of 80+ 787s to replace the 767-300s? Why would Delta NOT want to use more fuel efficient airplanes on their long haul routes? Is it a price issue? How much longer can the 767-300s operate without becoming too maintenance-intensive?

first of all there never was a potential order. Whitehurst was misquoted at the Paris Airshow. He said something to the effect of he could see a potential need for up to 125 787s to replace 767s. It didn't mean an order was imminent. Delta, in particular Richard Anderson, does not want to saddle itself with debt. Some money will be spent to update the 767s with new interiors, new screens on the flight deck, and for winglets. The 787 will be more fuel efficent than the 767, but when you factor in the cost of ownership, the 767 is still cheaper to operate, even with 80-90$ oil.

787s will likely be ordered down the road. One advantage to waiting is that the A-350 will become available and Delta would be able to evaulate that aircraft and use the 350 vs 787 to get the best deal from both Airbus and Boeing.

I would be very surprised to see an order for the 787 in under 3-5 years.

edited to say do you really think an airline fresh out of BK, with a still shaky balance sheet, can afford to take out 15-20 billion in debt, which is what it take for an order of 80-100 787s?

Last edited:
It is apparent that Richard is doing business a lot differently than his predecessors. He is talking a cautious approach. That should make all of us really happy.

What's the big hard-on with the -90 eval? Is it that they would really be that cheap to bring on line given the "trade for RJ's?".

Why wouldn't you just pull some -88's out of the desert and be done with it?

Latest word is that the MD-90's are off the table. The initial price sounds pretty sweet, but the cost to get them up to US specs is about the same as the acquisition cost. These -90's were made in China for the Chinese market. How about this one: apparently, there is no fire suppression for the cargo holds.

At this point, these things probably aren't worth the hassle.

That is not what I have heard. My friends on the 4th floor say there is a good chance we will get those MD90s, since those Chinese airlines are getting new A320s to replace them anyway. Our guys went over there and checked them out and supposedly they looked good and well maintained (except for the Sweet and Sour Pork found in the cockpit escape rope hatch) I would say there is a good chance we will get them. There are absolutely some city pairs that need mainline service and not RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What's the big hard-on with the -90 eval? Is it that they would really be that cheap to bring on line given the "trade for RJ's?".

Why wouldn't you just pull some -88's out of the desert and be done with it?

How many MD88s are out in the desert? IF they are out there, their lessors put them there or wouldn't deal with us. AA and other airlines have MD82s/83s out there, but not many MD88s. We only fly MD88s and MD90s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

How many MD88s are out in the desert? IF they are out there, their lessors put them there or wouldn't deal with us. AA and other airlines have MD82s/83s out there, but not many MD88s. We only fly MD88s and MD90s.

we only have one 88 in the desert, and it just went there last week. (ship 901) The lessor took it back because of the lease negotiations. I would bet it will be back.

What are the differences between the MD82/83 and the 88?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back