md 80 pressurization

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

oops!

I have a flight tomorrow and was wondering if the cargo compartments of an MD 80 are pressurized and heated?

I wouldn't put any pets in the fwd cargo compartment. The heated air may need to be turned off by the pilot under certain emergency circumstances leaving you with a pupcicle. :smash:
I wouldn't put my dogs in there.

Hi!

I used to fly with my dog a lot, on all different carriers. Never had a problem.

cliff
NBO
PS-Pilots are trained to know about carrying live animals, and they are notified if live animals are carried, so that they can more safely transport them. An emergency may apply where your pet would die, but that applies to you and the pilots also. If you are worried, drive a car, and then you will be less safe, but you might feel better, because you are in control of the car.

It depends on the carrier. Allegiant will not carry pets in the cargo compartments.

FYI, the mid cargo compartment is "heated" but only by exhausted cabin air that is ducted around the bin by a continuously running fan. The aft bin is pressurized but not heated.

Hi!

I used to fly with my dog a lot, on all different carriers. Never had a problem.

cliff
NBO
PS-Pilots are trained to know about carrying live animals, and they are notified if live animals are carried, so that they can more safely transport them. An emergency may apply where your pet would die, but that applies to you and the pilots also. If you are worried, drive a car, and then you will be less safe, but you might feel better, because you are in control of the car.

Yea right....I don't know how many times when I was flying with the regionals a dog or cat container would be getting unloaded while I was standing on the ramp that I had no idea was on that plane. In Raleigh NC I had a live animal box that I was never told about get unloaded and the police showed up, turned out to be a box of snakes that was going to be used to make anti venom for a particular type bite!! To me that is HAZMAT!!

Wait wait WAIT. Fellas...this guy never said a thing about flying a dog, cat..ect. Maybe he's shipping himself in a crate. :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a college kid several years ago that did this...via FedEx or UPS?

Yea right....I don't know how many times when I was flying with the regionals a dog or cat container would be getting unloaded while I was standing on the ramp that I had no idea was on that plane. In Raleigh NC I had a live animal box that I was never told about get unloaded and the police showed up, turned out to be a box of snakes that was going to be used to make anti venom for a particular type bite!! To me that is HAZMAT!!

This is fact. A first officer and myself were blaming each other about a bad fart years ago and we later found out a dog we didn't know about took a dump in its carrier. However I always knew if I had horse giz or eyeballs on the plane because that could get you life guard status.

Latest resources

Back