• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

McCain Hates Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm no real fan of McCain, but quite a bit of the stuff on this website you reference is pure BS.
ie - they take him to task for several aircraft losses and include the following:

"McCain's fourth aircraft loss occurred July 29, 1967, soon after he was assigned to the USS Forrestal as an A-4 Skyhawk pilot. While seated in the cockpit of his aircraft waiting his turn for takeoff, an accidently fired rocket slammed into McCain's plane. He escaped from the burning aircraft, but the explosions that followed killed 134 sailors, destroyed at least 20 aircraft, and threatened to sink the ship"

He was sitting in his aircraft waiting for the launch cycle to get underway and it was struck by a rocket from another aircraft. Explain to me how that was his fault??? They include the number of brave sailors killed and also aircraft lost, all in a feeble, chickensh*t attempt to further smear him.
I think there are plenty of reasons to dislike John McCain as a potential President - but are you really ignorant enough to fall for the crap on the website you reference?

OBTW - Have you ever seen the figures as to how many aircraft the Navy and AF were losing in the 50s and 60s? Some of the early jets were real pigs, poorly (and cheaply) built and very unforgiving of the slightest errors.

Was this the article that I linked? No it was not. But the article you mentioned did not "take him to task" for the Forrestal incident. Using McLame's own standard in his Pilot Records Act, it is more than fair game to bring into question how many airframes were lost under his command. By any account, this incident was not his fault, but you could have cited his other losses which are far more suspect.

It is disapointing that you do not mention any features of the article that I linked which chronicle McLame's "breaking into the business" in politics, his dumping of his first wife after she became crippled, his association with a known false naval aviator war hero, his involvement with the Keating 5 and Lincoln Savings and Loan which ultimately dumped $2 bil of bad debt on the taxpayers, his predatory and abusive actions concerning MIA/POW families, and the circumstances behind his drug addicted wife and her criminal activity which was given a pass. When does matter of fact and public record become smear?

We all have political agendas. You decry the tactic of the smear, but just trade it for dishonesty.

The truth will set you free, SkiFishFly.

Oh, I suppose this has to be explained to you. The website I linked is by definition anti-McLame, however, they link articles from several sources. Are these credible? That is a matter of opinion. That is why I linked the ones that reflect what is available in the public record. The article I linked had this at the bottom:

Sydney H. Schanberg is the editor of APBnews.com’s investigative unit. He was awarded a Pulitzer Prize for his 1975 coverage of political and social chaos in Cambodia. His news reports and a best-selling book about his experiences in Southeast Asia became the basis for the Academy Award-winning film The Killing Fields.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back