Maximum winds?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

five-alive

Except for crosswind components (which are aircraft limitiations) do you guys at your airlines have any maximum wind guidelines for takeoff and landing and what are they?

five-alive said:
Except for crosswind components (which are aircraft limitiations) do you guys at your airlines have any maximum wind guidelines for takeoff and landing and what are they?

Crosswind numbers published are NOT limitations per se, they are maximum demonstrated conditions which is a function of flight test process and certification. It is different than a limitation. At the capatains discretion to/ldg operations can be conducted in excess of these numbers. "Guidlines" are the demostrated crosswind numbers, 30 kts for the EMB145.

Of course if anything happens in operations in excess of this questions will be asked

tj

....Demostrated on the 70 is 35kts, with some limitations on static thrust settings depending on the exact wind angle. +/- 30 degrees, blah blah blah....

What I meant to ask does your company have a cutoff, say if winds were above 50 knots or something ops will cease?

Crosswind numbers published are NOT limitations per se, they are maximum demonstrated conditions which is a function of flight test process and certification. It is different than a limitation.

Some X-wind limitations are actual limitations. The CRJ has a 15 knot max crosswind while on a contaminated runway. This is a binding limitation (at least at PCL).

Crosswind: 25kt BRAG, 20kt BRAF, 15kt BRAP.
Tailwind 10kt BRAG, 5kt BRAF, 0kt BRAP

If Braking Action NIL, go home.
A pretty rational system to manage risk, in my humble opinion.

Cardinal said:
Crosswind: 25kt BRAG, 20kt BRAF, 15kt BRAP.
Tailwind 10kt BRAG, 5kt BRAF, 0kt BRAP

If Braking Action NIL, go home.
A pretty rational system to manage risk, in my humble opinion.

Man....that is way too much for me to remember.

Last edited:
Our ops at Eagle say basically "operations will be suspended with wind gusts of 50 knots or more, that occur with such frequency that a flight may experience such velocities during taxi or takeoff. Happens in LBB.

Latest resources

Back