• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MaxBlast feeling the LUV!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What we were talking about was you incessant bitching about how dicked up Southwest is in your eyes, and your juvenile whining about how the 717 with its "one push engine start" is such a better choice. BS. You don't have to be on the "cutting edge" in every aspect of technology to make money. And actually, I'm all for newer technology when it saves or makes money, but not just for your personal comfort. And "newer technology" (on the same par as the 717) already makes up the 4/5 of our fleet, with even higher technology on the way in the form of the -Max.

I'm sorry you may have to "work" a little harder when on a -300 Don, but it's pretty clear that a 737 (including our -300s) makes more money than your beloved 717 can. Yours is a pretty plane, it's easier for the pilots, but it can't make enough money for us, no matter how many bells and whistles.
THAT'S what we were talking about.

Bubba
Actually, no. That's what YOU were talking about.

I never said anything about "one push engine start", as well as some of your other fictional quotes. Nor does my "personal comfort" have anything to do with technology. Technology makes for better task automation and situational awareness thereby resulting in a safer operation. If profit were the only consideration, I'm sure SWA could acquire any number of beat up old aircraft for pennies on the dollar and go crazy with them. But that wouldn't be such a hot idea when maintenance, reliability, customer response, etc. were factored in.

It's good that the MAX is on the way. I'm looking forward to seeing a cockpit that is reported to be similar to the 787. In a previous post someone mentioned a possible good size NG order from a couple of foreign carriers to get SWA back on track with their original plan of retiring the -300/500 series; hopefully sooner rather than later.

Beyond that who knows what's on the planning board. With any luck it will be a door wide open to a plethora of international destinations using new widebody aircraft. To that end, I think we both can agree.

If you look at some of the early release photos of the Max cockpit, it's appears to be a glamed up NG. Not full scale departure like the 717 was compared to a DC9. You still have the "6 pack" recall master caution/warning system, instead of a modern Synoptics page. Can't speak to to the overhead, but things like the hydraulic pressure gauge are stil around with its colorful little analog gauge, and the flap indicator looks analog but is digitally represented. How much of this is done intentionally to allow pilots to fly both the NG and the Max? I'm sure alot. The gear handle is smaller and more centrally located and the flat panels are larger. News planes are new planes though, I'll take it.

When the SWA Training Center gets all excited about the MAX because the flight number will be displayed on the screen, that's a pretty good bet the overhead is going to look almost identical to the NG. I would also be shocked if the vertical plan view and brake temp indicators shown in the Boeing release actually make it onto a SWA aircraft. Even though SWA has made a transition to automation, I would say overall the understanding in how it works is about grade school level compared to how most other airlines operate in a graduate level. That problem lies with training I feel.

When the SWA Training Center gets all excited about the MAX because the flight number will be displayed on the screen, that's a pretty good bet the overhead is going to look almost identical to the NG. I would also be shocked if the vertical plan view and brake temp indicators shown in the Boeing release actually make it onto a SWA aircraft. Even though SWA has made a transition to automation, I would say overall the understanding in how it works is about grade school level compared to how most other airlines operate in a graduate level. That problem lies with training I feel.

Interesting blog;

http://theflyingengineer.com/flightdeck/boeings-max-southwests-737/

The section of that blog referring to the Max is a little dated. There will be fly by wire in the Max - Spoilers.:cartman:

In an earlier post you referred to the lack of a synoptic page; In the image of the new Max cockpit there's a rotary switch next to the Hyd Px gauge. It has 4 small buttons above it. I'm hoping that it's a selector for system synoptic pages. Or it could be a replacement for the display selector switches that have disappeared.

The electronic bleed system may be meaningless for us, or it may mean a more advanced temp controller and a quieter cockpit. Probably the former if 'lazy Boeing' runs true to form.

Still going to be noisy, uncomfortable and profitable.

It's a couple of years old. SWA decided against doing the GE avionics upgrades for the classics as well. I read recently where the "bump" for the longer nose gear has been eliminated. So improvements are being made. The blog addresses that the 737 has stayed fundementally the same on the flight deck, even though they could have made it similar to either the 757/767 or the 777. The 717 flight deck is almost a two engine MD-11. Southwest has had alot of influence over the cockpit design of the 737 through the years, and if keeping the cockpit the same has made them money or reduced training cost, you can't argue that. I'm all for a cleaner design and reducing the number of spare light bulbs carried over the FO's head, but hope to keep all pilots current on the NG/Max with differences training.

Hopefully he was displaced. That would serve him right. Now he'll get to experience commuting to the west coast for less money.

Good thing for him "Its Not about the money!" he will do fine.

Yea, the arguement was funny. It was never about the money until they realized they weren't getting the money......then it suddenly became about the money!

Yea, the arguement was funny. It was never about the money until they realized they weren't getting the money......then it suddenly became about the money!

Some of us still don't care about the money.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back