• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Max winglet??????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not an aerodynamics guru, but I had a conversation with one recently. He said these extreme winglets were really a waste of money due to the additional weight and strengthening required in the wing to support the winglet. He stated that it takes very long segments (7 plus hours) to realize much fuel savings from them. The real reason airlines (and leasing companies) keep having them installed is the accountants believe the airplanes will keep their value longer and they will be easier to re-sell or re-lease them later in their life cycle. Thoughts?

edit - I should say he was a self proclaimed aerodynamics expert.

I don't know that much about how those things are installed, but I will say that when I jump over the pond with them we realize almost a difference of 3000 pounds more than planned on landing. So do whatever voodoo you want on the numbers and what is reinforced. The bottom line is that they are saving gas and a lot of it.

Swa added winglets to gain 4% in fuel savings, then added B25 gun turrets which cost 5% in fuel.

That's funny! But at least we can ask the pax Super Bowl scores now instead of the other way around:)

I am not an aerodynamics guru, but I had a conversation with one recently. He said these extreme winglets were really a waste of money due to the additional weight and strengthening required in the wing to support the winglet. He stated that it takes very long segments (7 plus hours) to realize much fuel savings from them. The real reason airlines (and leasing companies) keep having them installed is the accountants believe the airplanes will keep their value longer and they will be easier to re-sell or re-lease them later in their life cycle. Thoughts?

edit - I should say he was a self proclaimed aerodynamics expert.

Tell him not to quit his day job, or just be straight forward and tell him he's a moron.

In another life I was in purchasing at an airline. We were looking at a winglet retrofit so we tasked the mod guys to prove the value of their product - they could only produce a 50/50 fleetwide upgrade.

Just sayin people actually do crunch the numbers.

Silly Engineers with all their fancy math and calculations....should have just asked some guy at a bar.

Latest resources

Back