Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
I just heard through the grapevine that Matt Juneau, owner of Volare Air Charter in ELP was killed in Mexico a little over a week ago.

Does anyone have the details? I was told that there were 5 in the a/c, all killed. This sounds like a fishing trip that he would take with friends to Mexico once or twice a year.

I worked for Matt for a little while and he was the kind of guy that you wanted to work for as an young professional pilot. Sad news.

Information appreciated.

EDIT: Research clears up the nature of the flight and the fact that there were only 4 total on the a/c . I assume it was one of Volare's 402s (press says Cessna "432-B"). Plane went down near Big Bend (Presidio, Tx) about 13 miles south of the border in the mountains. 3 day search found and recovered all bodies. That's rough terrain around there. It would be hard to survive any kind of impact in that part of the world.

Last edited:
Yes, before he struck out on his on in El Paso he flew DC-9s for them. Probably until about 10 years ago.

I work in ELP and from what I've heard (it's all through the grapevine though) he was doing flood plain survey work with some government officials- obviously low level flying and the visibility and ceiling were low that day. That's all I've heard and I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Wow, too bad. I met him in chihuahua a couple of years ago while flying with Gene. Was glad to see a freight dog who had broken off and was making it on his own, sad to see him go.

I too worked for Matt for quite a while. I went to his funeral last week, and there was a good showing of past employees as well as friends from the community. They had added 1 (maybe 2) 421's to their operation. He was in one of them on this flight. Good man, may he RIP.

Is there a site somewhere that would have an archive of the local weather at Presidio? Any way this happened is a tragedy, but I would hate to think it was a simple CFIT.

Latest resources

Back