Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
C

C172Guy

I was just wondering, how many of you professional pilots have masters degrees? If you have one, what is it in, and how much use have you gotten from it?

Well, I am proud to say that I just turned in my thesis, and with any luck I will have my Masters in aviation safety and aviation management in just a few short weeks.

As far as how much use I've gotten from it... Not that much yet, but I decided to get the degree for the future if I lose my medical. The degree will allow me the work in the safety or investigation areas of aviation. As for practical uses now, I guess I have a better understanding of the types of events that make up the chain of events leading to an accident, and hopefully through my education will be able to spot it and break it before it happens to me..

Overall, it was a relatively easy degree to obtain. I spent the last year as a full time student and full time line pilot and was able to manage just fine. I would suggest anyone interested in a masters to seriously consider it!

ERAU

I got my Masters from Embry-Riddle CCE at night.

I did a dual specialization in Aviation Human Factors, and Aviation/Aerospace Management. I completed my GRP on AQP. Overall it was a good experiance and although not totally necessary, it did open some doors for me.

I personally feel it is a great way to show some motivation at an interview! What a great way to pass the time while on reserve!

You cannot loose, you will learn a lot and help further your career.

Enroll now!

Masters degree

You can always benefit from more education and training, and it's nice to have a piece of paper to show for it. I'd do it for these reasons alone. Door-opening is an important added benefit, too, but . . .

All the major airlines want to see is a Bachelor's degree in something, anything legitimate, from an accredited college or university. I don't believe you gain an advantage during hiring with a Master's. The advantage you gain is for yourself in terms of education and training, and a great fallback plan if aviation goes south for you.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone for another B.S., in Aeronautical Science, to acquire that knowledge, and to go with my B.S.B.A.

Good luck with school.

Cool. Hey chperplt, where did you get that degree? I would probably be interested in something like that in the future.

I found my MAS in Aviation and Aerospace Mgt. from ERAU to be an absolute detriment in corporate aviation. Absolutely everyone was under the (wrong) impression that airlines would be tripping over themselves to get to me. However, I totally agree with bobbysamd, it was totally worth it for what it gave me personally. I would do it all over again, no matter the consequences.

Even " whores " get paid for their services. Sorry, wrong thread. This was suppose to be in response to the free pilot services thread.

Excelsior has a masters degree program too. I don't know much about it, as I only earned by BS there, but they are a good school to work with. Check out excelsior.edu. Perhaps I should do this with my free time. Cheers.

Latest resources

Back