Mass Exodus or Trickle?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ExAF

There hasn't been anything in the news or on the boards lately about "Stop Loss" and retention. I was wondering what is the status of Stop Loss? Also, if it is over, has there been a mass exodus or with the state of the airline industry now, is it going to be a trickle?

There were a few posts about the demise of stop loss, but nothing recent. I have several friends affected by it and one is thinking about staying to better time his departure. The guys who have SWA job offers will all do the same.

The real question is what happens in the AFR and ANG. If/when we throw down with Saddam will they want to be activated into the reserve job if they have a "safe" major position.

As to your other question, probably a mass exodus.

Guard slots after Saddam?

Will there be no pilot slots? I am hoping to apply in 2 years. How will this affect my chances? I'm also worried about the possibility of the democrats taking over the White House and Congress and slashing military spending like they always do. Do you think they will "downsize" the military after Saddam? John McCain is already complaining that there are too many C-130s, enough to go in every backyard in America. Hopefully that won't translate into policy down the road. Your thoughts appreciated..

"Will there be no pilot slots? I am hoping to apply in 2 years. How will this affect my chances?"

There will always be pilot slots. The question is how many and how competitive will it be to get one?

Currently the USAF is training approximately 1,100 pilots a year. This, from what I understand, is about the maximum the current pilot training infrastructure (aircraft, simulators, instructors, airspace, flight time, etc.) can produce. In recent years the USAF did reduce their pilot training output (and capability) based on a perceived overage of pilots. It did not last long, and soon they cranked up their output. However, when it was reduced, your chances of getting one depended on your commissioning source, with the Academy getting the most consideration, then ROTC, then OTS (and I'm not sure they got any at all).

The USAF (and other services) cannot afford to shut down their pilot training. Not only do they have to replace the pilots who decide to get out, they also have to replace those who stay in, but move on to staff and leadership positions and eventually retire. The USAF cannot go out on the street and hire a squadron commander or staff officer with recent experience; they must grow them from within. This process takes at a minimum 12-15 years. Even a few years of not producing pilots would have impacts for decades throwing the system into turmoil.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your pursuits.

Stop loss ended a little while back. I doubt there will be a mass exodus because there isn't anywhere to go. Although as soon as there is, I'll be gone myself.

Re: Guard slots after Saddam?

MST said:
I'm also worried about the possibility of the democrats taking over the White House and Congress and slashing military spending like they always do. Do you think they will "downsize" the military after Saddam? John McCain is already complaining that there are too many C-130s, enough to go in every backyard in America. Hopefully that won't translate into policy down the road. Your thoughts appreciated..

1. Sen John McCain is a REPUBLICAN by the way:eek:

Latest resources

Back