• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Marines: One Shot-One Kill

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of the pilots at Gulfstream who later went to Oprah's flight department was a sniper in Vietnam, another pilot in Gulfstream Flight Ops was in SEAL Team 2, a guy in final assembly on the floor was also a SEAL. One thing they all had in common was a deep respect for Carlos Hathcock.

Too bad he had to go the way he did.

http://www.snipercentral.com/wpost.htm

GV

Real American Hero, what a great guy, living the American Dream, freedom, from dirt poor to the most famous sniper that ever lived.

Apparently there's a Marine in Iraq who has surpassed Hathcock.

This takes nothing away from Gunny H. who is as famous for his patience and wood-skills as he is for his tally. Iraq is an ultra target-rich environment.

The book "Marine Sniper" is great, and tells of Hathcock's exploits in SEA. unbelievable stuff.

A legend among legends........

God bless Carlos. "Marine Sniper" is a highly recommended read.

Gorilla said:
Apparently there's a Marine in Iraq who has surpassed Hathcock.
Thats not surprising, given the urban terrain and poorly, if at all trained enemy. In a lot of cases, it would be fish in a barrel. I've seen a video (can't remember where) where a Marine Sniper and his scout were just carrying on a normal conversaion when the shooter would stop mid sentence for about a second, then BANG! and resumed right where he left off. He must have fired 15-20 rounds, and those guys don't miss. Never showed any kills though.

I think Carlos had to perform under much MUCH more difficult circumstances. Stalk and kill, jungle terrain, holding down an entire batallion single handed, countersniping (which is NOT fun or recommended for long term health!), shooting where he saw only a reflection of a scope for a second and shot the other dude through the eye..... etc, etc.....

+1 The book "Marine Sniper" is an awesome read. Ironically, I was on reading a copy at MEPS years ago, waiting on the bus to Parris Island and they made me throw it out :nuts:. I am on my third copy now :laugh:. I'll pick it up every couple years and read it. It never gets old.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back