• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Marine Aviation Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question for everyone: an older friend of mine retired from the Navy just short of Captain some years ago. He was telling me that one of his duty assignments was flying a C-118 with an Air Force squadron. Does this sort of thing still happen? Also, how would one go about getting a C-40 gig?

Don't know much about your C-118 question and I am not sure if you are referring to USAF C-40's or USN C-40's.

I know the USAF has a bunch of C-40's on the ramp at Andrews AFB. They belong to that Executive Transport Squadron (not sure what the official name of the squadron is, but I am sure some uppity zoomie will post 0.001 seconds after me with the name). They fly around politicians, state department officials, and DOD brass/VIPs.

The USN has a few C-40 squadrons that do less glamorous trash/people hauling missions There are a couple of squadrons at NAS Dallas, NAS Jacksonville and NAS San Diego. Last I heard is that the C-9's squadrons at NAS Norfolk and NAS Whidbey Isle will be transitioning to the C-40 shortly.

The only way into the USN squadrons (VR) is as a selective reservist (SELRES) or as a full time support (FTS). Most of the FTS guys are selected directly from the active USN. SELRES guys are your typical weekend warrior bubbas.

Latest resources

Back