Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EV120

Are we there yet?
Does anyone know if it allowable under 135 for 1 person to be the President, VP Flt Ops, and Chief Pilot, of an operation at the same time? Or would this be too much operational control for one person.

I know of no limitation in the regs, all you could do is apply and convince the FAA you can do it. I think it would depend upon the size of the operation and is the span of control manageable by one person. I know we had a one plane operation used to come through YIP, DC-6. The Captain was President and DO, the F/O was Chief pilot, and eth F/E was dir of maint

Does anyone know if it allowable under 135 for 1 person to be the President, VP Flt Ops, and Chief Pilot, of an operation at the same time? Or would this be too much operational control for one person.
If you stay under five airplanes and five pilots, you can operate as a Basic Operator, whereby you do not need all of the 14 CFR 119 management personnel.

While that may be true from a regulatory standard, if one of these aircraft is a 10 or more, you will not get far without separate individuals in most spots, at least D/O, CP, and D of M.. Then the other thing is who is the owner, not so much the title of president.

While that may be true from a regulatory standard, if one of these aircraft is a 10 or more, you will not get far without separate individuals in most spots, at least D/O, CP, and D of M.. Then the other thing is who is the owner, not so much the title of president.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I should have clarified the "More Than Nine Passengers" aspect of the rule.

If you stay under five airplanes and five pilots, you can operate as a Basic Operator, whereby you do not need all of the 14 CFR 119 management personnel.

Actually a Basic operator does require those positions. It is the Single Pilot Operator or Single Pilot-in-Command Operator that does not require the management positions, Ops Manual, Training Program, etc. Often, the small basic operator can get a deviation request to combine those management positions into one person after considering the scope of operation, the history of the operator, the credentials of the person selected, the FSDO's "mood", etc. A new operator going for a Basic would probably not be able to do this. If you are a potential new operator, go for the single pilot operator first. Either way it is a long process and remember you are working with Flight "Standards" (oh hahahahah) District Office.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back