• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagleflip

Man vs. Machine...Terminator Loses First Round

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/breaking/110904_airport_computers.html
Nov. 9, 2004
Computer-run takeoffs fail test in Dallas, require modification

The Associated Press

The first large-scale test of a system in which computers rather than pilots navigate aircraft on departure has been shelved after four problems at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

The experiment at the airport was part of an effort to add capacity for congested airports and relieve an overburdened national air-traffic system.

But after two aircraft flew too closely to each other, the Federal Aviation Administration stopped the multi-day experiment last week, The Dallas Morning News reported.

The jets flew 2.78 miles from each other, less than the 3-mile minimum required by federal regulations, but officials said there was no risk of collision. In addition, two airplanes turned toward the wrong runway and a third plane missed a required turn after takeoff.

"We hope to get the testing back in operation very soon," Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown said.

The Dallas experiment with the area navigational program was the first large-scale test at a major U.S. airport. Brown said federal regulators remain committed to the program, called RNAV. "We're anxious to see this up and running," said Basil Barimo, vice president of operations at the Air Transport Association, which represents the major carriers. "It looks like they have some very simple fixes."

Last edited:
Hows that joke go?

In the future aircraft will be staffed with a man (pilot) and a dog.

The pilot's job is to monitor the systems and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything....

Terminator Looses First Round

Eagleflip,

Do you really not know how to spell loses? I see this common word spelled incorrectly all the time, and I don't know why. Is this some alternate spelling everybody but me knows about?

Thx

PropsForward said:
Hows that joke go?

In the future aircraft will be staffed with a man (pilot) and a dog.

The pilot's job is to monitor the systems and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything....
Naw...it really goes... The pilot's job is to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls. :D

FracCapt said:
Naw...it really goes... The pilot's job is to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls. :D
Thanks! I knew it was something snappy.

PHP:
 Do you really not know how to spell loses?

sigh... Pile-it, only one post and it's about my spelling?

Yep, you're right...I stand corrected!

Now, what do you think about that topic?!?

Latest resources

Back