• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Man on mower struck by plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right and no one under the age of 50 has ever ground looped and flipped a Citabria

No doubt many a younger pilot has made far worse mistakes and as I am getting quite old and am still active, I meant no age related derision. I just found it of interest that the pilot was of such advanced age; I have no idea how that risk is analyzed for underwriting purposes. I will guess he is somewhere on the far side of the third standard deviation for actuarial purposes.

Of course, the youngster on the mower may have been at fault. The NTSB will sort this one out I'm sure. I would recommend they get their statements quickly because tomorrow, neither of those involved might recall what happened (I kid...I kid!)

I understand you're somewhere north of 40 (with the understanding 60 is the new 40). I'm one of those who doesn't agree with arbitrary numbers for age restrictions. I do however believe that an 84 year old with the mental and physical abilities to pilot an airplane are very few and very far in between. If this pilot is indeed current with his medical and BFR, I would salute him and buy him an Ensure!

In your experience, what is the highest age at which you have seen a medical issued?

No doubt many a younger pilot has made far worse mistakes and as I am getting quite old and am still active, I meant no age related derision. I just found it of interest that the pilot was of such advanced age; I have no idea how that risk is analyzed for underwriting purposes. I will guess he is somewhere on the far side of the third standard deviation for actuarial purposes.

Of course, the youngster on the mower may have been at fault. The NTSB will sort this one out I'm sure. I would recommend they get their statements quickly because tomorrow, neither of those involved might recall what happened (I kid...I kid!)

I understand you're somewhere north of 40 (with the understanding 60 is the new 40). I'm one of those who doesn't agree with arbitrary numbers for age restrictions. I do however believe that an 84 year old with the mental and physical abilities to pilot an airplane are very few and very far in between. If this pilot is indeed current with his medical and BFR, I would salute him and buy him an Ensure!

In your experience, what is the highest age at which you have seen a medical issued?
I am sorry, but is sounded like one of those "get out of my seat " posts. I am north of 70, still flying jets, first class Med, no limitations. There are a lot of pilots over 90 still flying. There is group called the Flying Octogenarians, pilot over 80 still flying. Check it out

http://unitedflyingoctogenarians.org/

I hope to join them in about 9 years. I still fly the B-17 with guys in their 80's. They are still sharp.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but is sounded like one of those "get out of my seat " posts. I am north of 70, still flying jets, first class Med, no limitations. There are a lot of pilots over 90 still flying. There is group called the Flying Octogenarians, pilot over 80 still flying. Check it out

http://unitedflyingoctogenarians.org/

I hope to join them in about 9 years. I still fly the B-17 with guys in their 80's. They are still sharp.

Interesting and thanks for the link. UFO - very clever :)

Latest resources

Back