Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Malaysian 777 enroute to Beijing missing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fr8doggie,

I get your point. I guess the hostility might be out of a sense of blaming these pilots. They probably did it exactly by the book. Yet their lives have been scrutinized, reputations called into question, homes searched, families in seclusion. I guess throwing the ELT will help locate the wreckage sooner but it's definitely a deviation from SOP. Knowing the media I would guess they would probably call it a pilot suicide because why else would the pilot turn it on if not directed by the checklist? He must have been planning to crash! lol

I'm not blaming the flight crew. I have absolutely no idea what happened to that flight. I'm just saying you can use the ELT to let the appropriate people know you are in trouble immediately if you are not in direct contact and are in dire straits. If you ever get in trouble and you take my advice I'll expect a bottle of 18yr Laphroig. Otherwise I'll be watching CNN.;)

Regards,
Fr8doggie

Well in the case of this aircraft ,we see what happens when you don't put turning on the ELT somewhere close to the top of a to-do list.it takes one second to turn it on.

They were in radar contact and talking to ATC/other aircraft all the way in. Airplane crashed 27 minutes after fire was reported.

Regards,
Fr8doggie

They weren't able to change frequencies and had to relay their messages through other aircraft. Thus all these media types sound stupid repeating over and over why didn't they make any distress calls? It should be quiet simple to imagine many scenarios where they couldn't make a call that do not include hijacking themselves or committing suicide.

My point is that turning on the ELT wouldn't help the crew. It would help the investigators find bodies and wreckage. Not sure how I could get you that 18year if I'm dead!

You ever try the Japanese stuff? Hibiki makes a good 17 and Nikka has an awesome 21 year old pure malt. Check it out next time you're in Narita

They weren't able to change frequencies and had to relay their messages through other aircraft. Thus all these media types sound stupid repeating over and over why didn't they make any distress calls? It should be quiet simple to imagine many scenarios where they couldn't make a call that do not include hijacking themselves or committing suicide.

My point is that turning on the ELT wouldn't help the crew. It would help the investigators find bodies and wreckage. Not sure how I could get you that 18year if I'm dead!

You ever try the Japanese stuff? Hibiki makes a good 17 and Nikka has an awesome 21 year old pure malt. Check it out next time you're in Narita

I'm in Narita right now. Seems blasphemous to drink whisky not distilled in the auld county.

Regards,
Fr8doggie

Last edited:
Well in the case of this aircraft ,we see what happens when you don't put turning on the ELT somewhere close to the top of a to-do list.it takes one second to turn it on.

So could turning the ELT on have saved this aircraft? I think Boeing generally limits their emergency checklist items to those which can have a positive effect on the outcome.

They could also add start dumping fuel in order to make a smaller fireball in case of impact with the ground.

Your concern with not turning in the ELT assumes no one would survive a
Crash into the ocean.

Chicago law firm plans to represent passengers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...an-airlines-lawsuits-20140326,0,6766396.story

No ambulance to chase yet, but the "sharks that can swim on the land" have started to circle;

"Ribbeck Law has filed a petition for discovery against Boeing Co, manufacturer of the aircraft, and Malaysian Airlines, operator of the plane in a Cook County, Illinois Circuit Court. The petition is meant to secure evidence of possible design and manufacturing defects that may have contributed to the disaster, the law firm said."

"Though both Boeing and Malaysia Airlines were named in the filing, the focus of the case will be on Boeing, Ribbeck's lawyers told reporters, as they believe that the incident was caused by mechanical failure."

"The lawsuit, soon to be filed, would seek millions of dollars of compensation for each passenger and ask Boeing to repair its entire 777 fleet."

I wonder how many families they can attract since the majority of the passengers were Chinese citizens. Guess their rainmakers have been busy since the plane went missing.

Latest resources

Back