• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Make The Call People

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least the APA is following the true will of its membership regarding Age 65...unlike ALPA and its "survey" full of leading questions that, on the surface, certainly appear to have been spun to support a predetermined agenda.

Lord knows, I'm no ALPA lover, but I think that's an unfair characterization of the survey. Yeah, it was leading, but ultimately, it was pretty obvious how you needed to answer to say either yea/nay to the 60/65 question.

The majority spoke, and ALPA took it's marching orders to fight to keep the 60 rule in place. As it should, cuz majority rules.

Of course, they were totally ineffectual in stopping the change (or it sure looks like it). Yeah, they spoke on the hill, but fat lot of good they did. You know, kinda like how they yak but accomplish nothing on :
  • Pension reform
  • Crew Rest/Duty time Reg reform
  • Putting me on the $100k/yr+ ALPA salary plan

Last edited:
Well, since I am not an airline pilot yet, let me throw in my two cents worth.

All of you will be 60 someday, and when you are at that age, you will want the choice, to either fly another 5 years, or retire.

Are you going to tell me that somebody who is 60 years old + one month, with some 15,000 to 20,000 hours of flying experience is not as good as some 23 year old fresh Captain? Come on, give me a break.

They have said that if someone is on the flight deck over 60, they have to be with a pilot under 60, so you can't have two over 60 at a time, by themselves. I don't know why they did that, but they did, as if just because both are over 60 they are both going to keel over any day. NOT!

Get beyond your desire to "flow" (I have learned a new word!) to the majors, at the senior pilot's expense. They have earned their right to fly 5 more years if they so desire. Many of them might not choose to stay, but it should be their choice.

Well, why are we lobbying for 65 then? Let's just lobby for "we can retire whenever we can no longer hold a first class medical"?

Sorry, but when I'm 60, I don't want the choice, I want to retire and enjoy myself. Heck, they can make it 55 if they want.

Thanks. Calls being made and efforts put forth raising awareness to support passage and no veto.

This arbitrary, illogical and age-discriminatory nonsense has gone on long enough.

AGE DISCRIMINATORY???? GMAFB!!!!!!!!!

Age discrimination is the most bogus argument for this.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AGE 65 WOULD BE AGE DISCRIMINATION PEOPLE!

Let's call a spade a spade but stop using DISCRIMINATION when talking about it!

AGE DISCRIMINATORY???? GMAFB!!!!!!!!!

Age discrimination is the most bogus argument for this.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AGE 65 WOULD BE AGE DISCRIMINATION PEOPLE!

Let's call a spade a spade but stop using DISCRIMINATION when talking about it!
The "Age 60" rule is age discrimination, and this doesn't change, no matter how much you increase your font size. The federal government is DISCRIMINATING against pilots who have demonstrated that they are healthy enough to fly by passing an FAA medical examination, certifying to that fact.

The "Age 60" rule is age discrimination, and this doesn't change, no matter how much you increase your font size. The federal government is DISCRIMINATING against pilots who have demonstrated that they are healthy enough to fly by passing an FAA medical examination, certifying to that fact.

Yes, but you're missing his point. Moving the age back to 65 is still age discrimination.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. My call has been made supporting passage.

When you look at the data comparing part 135 pilots above and below 65, you will see that the accident rate is at its miniums around 63-64 with the 65 rate being below the 60 rate.

The studies that show higher rates among older pilots compare the rates of 121/135 pilots under 60 with the accident rates of 135 pilots over 60. You could get the same results comparing 55-60 year old pilots flying 121 being safer than 30 year old pilots flying part 135.

You are such a tool...

...and your breath smells like rotten liver and onions

What percentage of pilots flying 135 fall into the 60-65 range? My bet is not many... And it would be ludicrious to assume that just because someone can pass a medical that they are fit to fly; I can't tell you how many people I know readily admit to getting a less than thourough exam. Age discrimination or not, the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that somewhere has worked fine for the last few decades, until the current crop has decided that it's not fair that THEY have to retire when everyone else did. What a joke.

The age 60 rule is not age discrimination. Period. It was put forth as a safety factor by the FAA for the 121 ops. All pilots flying now under 121 new when the retirement age was when they were hired, and now some want to support the change so that they can benifit. These will be the minority for the first five years if this change happens. If pilots want to fly with no age limits, there is P 135. Changing the rules for 121 flying does not make sence.

The age 60 rule is not age discrimination. Period. It was put forth as a safety factor by the FAA for the 121 ops. All pilots flying now under 121 new when the retirement age was when they were hired, and now some want to support the change so that they can benifit. These will be the minority for the first five years if this change happens. If pilots want to fly with no age limits, there is P 135. Changing the rules for 121 flying does not make sence.

Of course it's age discrimination!
Under current rules, you are denied the ability to fly 121 on the utterly arbitrary criterion of being age 60.

No.
Other.
Reason.

A better measure would be a routine series of tests to determine continued competency no matter what age.

Boy, I wish we had those.

Oh wait. We do. They're called medicals and proficiency checks. (and lucky for you, there is no spelling or grammar involved)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back