Make some money off airline stocks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Geronimo4497 said:
My advice is to donate that penny stock money to Mark's family. They will need it more than you. Just a thought.

there are threads dedicated to this, you might want to post there.

Just recently purchased 130 shares of Cathay Pacific (CPCAY.PK)...I'm an amateur with the whole Scottrade thing, but seemingly they appealed to me because they have been weathering the storm if you know what I mean (In comparison to most American carriers)...and it's right at about 8 bucks and change right now per share.....Loking to make a little profit if the world economy makes a few modest strides.

psysicx said:
I made money off of skywest.

Up about 50% since July. Thanks to a 423 plan employees will make an end of year purchase for around 15 bucks per share. If stock is 30 by then an RJ captain making 80K could see a $12,000 pre-tax profit.

investing

rule 1 never take investment advice from a pilot
rule 2 don't try to make money "trading" stocks...better off investing in the long haul and using a warren buffet long-term strategy of looking for deals...minimizing transaction costs...patience.

rule 3 if you want some action and want to ignore the above rules buy LUV today...it's down...it will probably pop on earnings announcements on the 20th...expect good news mainly because of the 1-3 buck increase in airline ticket prices. SWA flew ~250,000 flights the third quarter...at 80-120 pax per plane...probably will mean a 20-50 million dollar bonus over and above analyst expectations...short term pop on the good news.

Cyclone said:
rule 1 never take investment advice from a pilot
rule 2 don't try to make money "trading" stocks...better off investing in the long haul and using a warren buffet long-term strategy of looking for deals...minimizing transaction costs...patience.

rule 3 if you want some action and want to ignore the above rules buy LUV today...it's down...it will probably pop on earnings announcements on the 20th...expect good news mainly because of the 1-3 buck increase in airline ticket prices. SWA flew ~250,000 flights the third quarter...at 80-120 pax per plane...probably will mean a 20-50 million dollar bonus over and above analyst expectations...short term pop on the good news.

As to rule #1, it appears from your profile that you are a pilot, yet you have proceeded to offer investment advice. Should he ignore your rules #2 and #3 so that he may remain in compliance with your rule #1? Is this some kind of circular logic trick?

i believe rule 1 and 2 are true.

i am guessing about luv on the 20th...but it could happen...anyway even if it does it won't go up more than 4-5%...barely enough to cover the buy...sell...transaction fees, etc...you have to remember when you buy and sell the "spread" is not your friend.

Cyclone said:
i believe rule 1 and 2 are true.

i am guessing about luv on the 20th...but it could happen...anyway even if it does it won't go up more than 4-5%...barely enough to cover the buy...sell...transaction fees, etc...you have to remember when you buy and sell the "spread" is not your friend.

I'm confused about about the "4-5%...barely enough to cover..." comment. Nothing new, I confuse easily.

In general I work in terms of gains/losses in dollars as opposed to a percentage; just a habit of mine that I have used over the years. But $s are where I program my targets and stops. Obviously one can be expressed in terms of the other.

It would seem that if you buy LUV at $15.38 (the 10/18/05 Volume Weighted Average) and collected 4% a share ( what, about .61 per?), I cannot imagine how the commissions and fees could exceed that gain.

I mean 4-5% is a pretty good amount of money where I come from if you're talking a reasonable time frame. I executed several trades today and will use one as an example (It's the first one executed).

At 1102 I sold short 6000 shares of XOM with an average fill price of $58.08. I covered all open at 1545 at $56.51. 6000 shares @ $1.57 gives me $9420 before commissions and fees. My commissions for that trade were $76 and the SEC fees ran (est - waiting for settlement usually three days) about $15 (sell price x .0000418). Interest is sometimes charged on short sells, if it were to apply here I would expect a few more bucks to go towards costs. I carry sufficient captial in accounts and trade with enough volume that I do not require any broker/platform/data feed fees, but even if they are a component, amortizing a few hunred bucks a month shouldn't add more than a few pennies to the cost.

So it looks like a pretax ST gain of about $9300 (about 2.7%?). A 4% return would have given me around $13K.

I think I must be missing something in your estimate of fees and other costs because it seems like a 4% gain (we are talking gains here of course) should more than cover your costs in a trade.

And by the way, if you're right about LUV you should try your hand at being a "market analyst". You can't be any worse than those that are currently doing the job:)

Latest resources

Back