Major Auto Maker Losses Could Cause Economic Recession

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

My brother was an AE for MD in Long Beach, working on the MD-92 (now the 717) and the C-17. He hated it, mostly because middle mgmt was stupid.

He quit and does engineering work for himself (carbon fiber parts), which he enjoys 10x more. It also helps that he moved from Long Beach to Oregon.

CLiff
YIP (finally made it out of MMIO)

hindsight2020 said:
well, ironically as it is, I never shot for an engineering job, I actually got this degree to be competitive for the Air National Guard :D

My intent was to highlight the lack of incentive towards such a profession in the context of the talk of the economy started by the thread. I do think your counter-example is atypical (considering your signature makes your post look oximoronic) but we both agree it does not pay to become an engineer.

You're other post rings very true. I graduated a few years ago w/ a mech engineering bachelors degree. Didn't go in it for the money really, but more for the enjoyment. I'm in aerospace, and I sit in front of a computer for 8 hrs+/day. I get to crunch #s all day, listen to people passionately debate documentation processes, go to meetings, and feel depressed every morning I drive in. Not exactly what I was hoping to do. The money is DEFINITELY not there either. As I've said before, I think a lot of professional pilots in the airlines or corporate forget that mostly people are doing very good to peak around $70-80k. Job security is also an issue, as it is in aviation.

However, I'm extremely fortunate because I am single, not looking for marriage or kids AT ALL, and am plugging away towards a piloting career. Not airlines, and probably not corporate (unless the right thing comes through). Not that I'm in the situation to pick and choose, but I am able to at least set my goals.

The point is that I've learned that the most important things for people are:
1)Family
2)Your job
3)Your hobbies

Money doesn't affect long term happiness, and you can always get by somehow.

Latest resources

Back