• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major Airlines NOT Using PBS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In that case, I respectfully defer to your knowledge of your own management's behavior!

Giving AA management PBS without total control of APA is like giving them 100,000 custom Trojan ("Prickly Pear Edition, Ribbed and Spiked for Managments Pleasure") condoms to use as they see fit.

I couldn't imagine going through 300+ lines to try to find one that's "just right," and then entering the others in preferential order.
Ahh, ever hear of a bid sort program? You want only 3 day trips, no ground time, 18 hrs in FLL, BAM, LOCK IT IN!

Ahh, ever hear of a bid sort program? You want only 3 day trips, no ground time, 18 hrs in FLL, BAM, LOCK IT IN!

Yes, I used EasyBid all the time when DAL had LOT bidding, and I did very well with both it and our LOT system.

Still at DAL I like PBS better--that doesn't mean that it works elsewhere, or that it is always better all the time.

Thread closed for me!

How about the effect on vacation? Those happy w/ PBS- does your program consider vacation before or after you bid?

AA and SWA guys are right to be "suspicious" but wrong to just utterly dismiss PBS. It would be like "no, I don't want a sharper kitchen knife because then I might cut myself more easily." (?....)

1. Is it really better sorting through hundreds of lines, just to find a handful that contain everything you want (which you probably won't be senior enough to get)? Then you have to go through infinite gyrations after the original bid awards, dropping, picking up, and swapping trips all over the place, just so you can get the trips and days off that PBS would have had a much better chance of getting you the first time around?

J Q

I can get 21 days off for one weeks vacation and have it pay at least 40 hrs and I have got as high as 55 hrs. Can you do that with PBS?

Plain and simple, PBS equals 10% less pilot work force.

PS I did not see ACL post above please refer to it as he sums up PBS. JMO

Last edited:
How PBS sees your vacation depends on the company. For us it is pay and credit. It is credited at 21 hrs a week towards ALV plus or minus 7.5 for the LCW. (Line Completion Window)

Sure- and ours has a set value as well- but our lines are bid independently of vacations- we don't have trips that end and begin around our vacations. That's huge

John Q,

Very well said, but to recap the fear we have as pilot at AA. PBS will be bastardized by AMR management. I have spoken with many old TWA pilots and PBS worked great for them, the pilots also controlled it. AMR would never allow APA to control the scheduling metrics in PBS.

AA

Spot on... and not to mention the fact that, ANY acceptance of PBS is an automatic 5-10% reduction in the pilot corps... and we still have, what, 1800 pilots out on furlough?

Naga.. Naga... Nagonnahappen.

J Q

I can get 21 days off for one weeks vacation and have it pay at least 40 hrs and I have got as high as 55 hrs. Can you do that with PBS?

Plain and simple, PBS equals 10% less pilot work force.

PS I did not see ACL post above please refer to it as he sums up PBS. JMO

Yes, we can do that at JetBlue with VAC and PBS...

Plus we have a staffing level of 6.45 Crews per aircraft.

This 10% number get thrown around alot and its just not accurate....Most airline see 2%-3% decrease in crews required in the transition from Line Bidding to PBS.

PBS can work VERY well for the pilots, properly implemented.

But it will also give the company a %10-15 boost in their "effective" staffing. Make the bastards pay for every little bit of it.

Nu

Latest resources

Back