Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
For my CubCrafters Carbon Cub FX-3 I started with a NOCO Genius 5 to maintain the starter battery which can be plugged into the 12V receptacle under the dash (or rear seat if you have that option). I later switched to the Odyssey charger and have to say I believe it is a better charger/maintainer for the battery. I did install the pigtail on the battery which is how I connect the charger to the battery otherwise you'd have to connect directly to the battery by tilting the front seat forward (not ideal).

Amazon product ASIN B01CGJH9PG
Here is the NOCO Genius 5 I started with but no longer use:

Amazon product ASIN B07W8KJH44
You will need the 12V adapter:

Amazon product ASIN B004LWWNI0

I also have a NOCO Genius 5 for my FX-3, chosen because that's what Cub Crafters was using on their airplanes. What about the Odyssey makes it better? Can the jump start battery use the same pigtail?

I took delivery of my FX-3 this past November, and by January the Odyssey (Hawker) battery would no longer turn the engine over. Cub Crafters replaced the battery, and so far it's doing OK.

Dave Embry had a video regarding a battery going bad and believed it was the wrong charger. It was a different battery I believe but it got me curious so I got the same charger and after months of use including being gone for a 5 month RV (motorhome) trip it did a great job of maintaining my battery. I trust it more than the NOCO Genius. It has its own pigtail which I connected to the starter battery. I've heard others just tilt the seat forward and connect the included alligator clips to the battery but I much prefer the pigtail.

I too replaced my battery, sadly CubCrafters would not cover it under warranty and in hindsight should have. The new battery has been flawless. I don't know how long they are sitting on the shelf at CubCrafters or being in a drained/unmaintained state during the time prior to delivery but I know my plane sat for several months prior to delivery and probably not on a charger/maintainer.

What I don't know is how long the battery will last when not on a charger and still be effective for starting. For most of the first year and a half I kept it on a charger. The past month or two while I've been flying frequently (at least once a week) I have not put it on a charger once and it's been fine. I think this combined with knowing how to properly prime the engine for start (a recent video I posted) I've had no issues with starting the engine.

I later switched to the Odyssey charger and have to say I believe it is a better charger/maintainer for the battery.
I just got the Genius with the 12v adapter to charge my Earthx battery. I went with what Cubcrafters recommended, but I was a little disappointed to find out what I had been told through the build process--that using the charger would allow me to switch on the IBBS and play with it on the ground while charging it--was not true (e.g., the 12v plug charges through the main bus and won't charge the IBBS).

I haven't tried it yet, so I guess I'll try to figure it out. Do y'all think the Genius should be returned or that it could damage my Earth X? Are there any other considerations anyone is aware of while charging the battery through the 12v port?

CubCrafters was great throughout the build process, but I really wish we had spent half a day on basic ownership operations [(i.e., preventative maintenance, towing, battery operation, updating software, things to look out for with use, and procedures specific to experimental equipment frequently supplied by CubCrafters (earthx, 363i, ignition systems, customized glass cockpit)].

I'm a first-time owner, have been out of GA forever, and never used anything but a 6-pack in a recip, and some of my questions have been answered with contradicting information by CC.

@Hunter you can typically use the IBBS for 30-45 minutes, I'm told. But if you're connected to a power source you can turn on Master and if you want to play with a GNC 355 if you have that then also AV. The 12V receptacle is connected directly to the starter battery via thin wires I believe so that's how it charges via that receptacle. But yeah, it's a direct connect to charge only the starter battery.

There are several modes on the NOCO Genius but if I were you I'd reach out to EarthX and ask them what they suggest for a battery maintainer while away for long periods of time, how long I'm not sure. When I started this journey with the FX-3 I wasn't sure how long the starter battery would last as I had some issues initially. I replaced my SBS-J16 battery and it's been great since. I still kept on a charger when not in use as no one could tell me how long I could go with the plane not on charge. If you fly say once a week then I don't think you need to be on charge (in above freezing temps). I've not used my charger for two months now and it's been fine, I fly at least once a week. If you view my video on improving starts in your FX-3 that will help immensely too (how to prime the engine).

You have a great battery and I doubt you will need to put it on a maintainer unless away from the plane for probably a month or longer.

It's been a road of learning and mainly from other FX-3 owners hence this site so they are not closed loops lessons between friends offline. There is a lot to learn and share. It is unfortunate CubCrafters has not taken advantage of YouTube to help owners post delivery. It would save on emails and calls to support to have some basic education outside of the sparse AMM. In the military I never got in an airplane without being extensively trained first, I'm sure the same in your case with the planes you fly outside of GA but this is a different world of self learning sadly. You'll get it and you have a resource for help here.

Last edited:
I’ve used a NOCO G3500 for several years connected via pigtail to battery under seat— no issues. I also carry a jump starter with me in case of a dead battery in an off airport location. NOCO Boost XL GB50 1500 amp jump starter with same pigtail connector. Can also be used to charge iPhone/iPad, etc. if camping.

Thanks, guys. I need to pull the seat out to find exactly which EarthX model I have. Oddly enough, at the end of my POH/AFM (the section in which onboard equipment is listed), there seems to be some erroneous equipment identification. For one, I did not go with the IFR GPS, yet I have GNC 355 GPS/COM listed. Several other examples conflict with my build sheet, some of which appear to be older/newer models of the same equipment, but in this case, I believe it simply is incorrect. Have y'all noticed a similar issue?

Anyways, I typically try to fly once a week, but with my job, once every two weeks is more realistic. No issues with starts so far. And yes, I've followed your starting advice (HoodAero also teaches it this way), so I thank you for the information you've put out. I have noticed that it takes a decent amount of time to warm up the engine, and going to idle (especially at lean) will result in sputtering or engine cut-off-- until it is warm.

Your information has clarified my question, vis a vis IBBS vs. MASTER use with a trickle charger hooked up to the cig lighter. I'll chat with EarthX regarding the charger's settings and get back to y'all here.
I’ve used a NOCO G3500 for several years connected via pigtail to battery under seat— no issues. I also carry a jump starter with me in case of a dead battery in an off airport location. NOCO Boost XL GB50 1500 amp jump starter with same pigtail connector. Can also be used to charge iPhone/iPad, etc. if camping.
Do you know of any reason to eschew the cigarette lighter adapter in favor of the pigtail connection? Also, the inclusion of a Jumpstarter is a good idea, as I've begun to shut down for an hour or so at a time on sandbars, and the what-ifs have started to cross my mind!

I did not go with the IFR GPS, yet I have GNC 355 GPS/COM listed
The GNC 355 "is" an IFR GPS aka WAAS GPS
Several other examples conflict with my build sheet, some of which appear to be older/newer models of the same equipment, but in this case, I believe it simply is incorrect. Have y'all noticed a similar issue?
I'm not aware of any issues, can you detail what you have in question. It's likely a misunderstanding I'm guessing.
Do you know of any reason to eschew the cigarette lighter adapter in favor of the pigtail connection?
The 12V "cig lighter" is connected directly to the starter battery with an inline fuse (yeah, I know, I've blown it) from running a 12V tire inflator far exceeding recommended run time, which is why I bought an air compressor for the hangar to handle the bush tires. Therefore there is no real reason to change as long as you have the correct battery charger/maintainer for your battery. You're in a different world with EarthX and probably need little tendering vs. us with the sealed lead acid batteries.

I have the super expensive TacAero tacnets, not sure I'd do it again, but I'm loaded to the gills for what-ifs and wanted to give TacAero my support so I bought dang near all of their goodies including the snap-on toolset (ouch $$$). But a jump starter is something I would not fly without as I don't think you can handprop this plane. So then what are you gonna do? If you have the luxury of friends with planes to call, probably not a big deal (hope you have an inReach too) but I don't have that here so I need to be prepared to always tend to things myself, or plan as such.

For those with EarthX batteries this thread addresses maintaining it with a tender, etc.

For those with EarthX batteries this thread addresses maintaining it with a tender, etc.

Thanks Neal!

Latest resources

Back