Magneto lesson?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowery21

Anybody have any advice on how to teach students about the Magnetos and how they work? There is not really any information in the POH.

That link is a very good explaination of the inner workings of a magneto, however it can still be confusing to the simple minded no mechanical experienced mind.

Start with a very basic concept of the magnet. That's where the magic is. The magnet. You can take a magnet and wrap (or coil) a wire around the magnet, and move the magnet back and forth within the coiled wire, and the magnetic field will excite the electrons within the wire and cause (or create) electricity! Wow!

hook one up and have them hold the output lead, that will give them an idea of it (lol), it's basicallty an engine driven generator with an interupter to provide spark. My dad taught me to get up at the first saying with one from a model t and Litz wire around my toes when i was younger and liked to stay out all night. I did n't have to be asked twice after that.

Turn the prop with all fuel double checked off and chocks on. Have them listen to the magnetos pop as the blade turns. Feel the blade tighten up before it clicks. Explain how this makes electricity and allows the plane to run without a battery.

labbats said:
Feel the blade tighten up before it clicks.

THat's not he magneto making the blade "tighten up" thats the compression in the cylinders. THe force of winding the impulse coupling spring is very small comparatively when you're turning the prop. You'll feel this same "tightening up" if you turn the prop on an airplane with a shower of sparks magneto instead of an impulse coupling. Also if you take the all the spark plugs out, you don't feel the "tightening up" as you turn the prop

compare it to a car

I always compare it to a car. You can unhook the battery of a car and it will shut off. Turn off the master and the plane will keep running. I use this when teaching in terms of safety. Two of them means redundancy. Tell them about the two sets of plugs and how each mag runs one set. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks guys...appreciate it.

I guess that is the main thing that I wanted to get across. That the reason for mags...besides a better regulated charge...is that mags separate the engine from the electrical system. Read: losing electricity doesn't mean you lose the engines.

I will also stress the importance of the grounding wire and what happens if it is not there or comes loose.

Latest resources

Back