Magneto lesson?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F16fixer said:
So why don't you go out in your drive way and unhook the battery from your CRX and see if it keeps running.
Well, for starters, I don't have a CRX in my driveway. :) I've never seen a component that was attached directly to a car battery which would not also be connected to the car's electrical system, powered by the alternator, were the battery cable to be disconnected from the battery. Fuel pumps are powered by alternators, too. But, I'm not an expert, and I haven't seen them all, so there could be such a system.

Nevertheless, the point of the magneto discussion is not related to fuel delivery. The point is the magneto is an independent electrical system. As long as the engine is turning, the magnetos will provide a spark.

troy said:
Quote: "We have 2 of them in case one goes out. That way, if the altenator fails, the engine continues to run" This is false, the mags and the charging circut are not connected together in any way.

One other thing,

Airplane engines do not need two magnetos. Some only have one, with dual distributors.

Airplane engines DO need two sparkplugs. Since the cylinder of a airplane engine is so huge the dual sparkplugs allow more complete combustion of the fuel. Combustion starts at both sides and meets in the middle. Think about it, an O-360 each cylinder has 1.5 liters of displacement in each jug. That's a lot of fuel to burn in just 12 degrees of crank rotation.

Having the second mag is just backup. Since you already have to use the dual distributors, wires, ect, why not go ahead and use an extra mag.

USMCmech said:
Having the second mag is just backup. Since you already have to use the dual distributors, wires, ect, why not go ahead and use an extra mag.

I hope that you are not bad mouthing the beautiful Bendix D-3000 dual magneto?! We won WWII with the dual mag (i.e. 1 common shaft with two "distrubutors") that was on the likes of the Corsair, P47, P51, B24/25 etc. etc. etc.

No doubt that it is more complicated than a Slick mag, however, I would argue that this magneto has recieved too much critizime for being a "piece of junk", not that I am accusing anything......

This particular style of mag is far too often the victim of "tinker-itis". Some specialized knowlege is needed to work on and service this device. I would argue that if one takes the time (no more than one weekend) to sit down with the service manual and an example of this very well enginereed magneto that vast knowlegdge can be obtained. So much, in fact, that all of your friends at the local airport will come by your hangar on the weekend and annoy you with questions about proper mag timing!!!!

I do not have an airplane that has this mag installed, but have been fortunate enough to work on several airplanes with this type of mag (172N, 182RG).

If you have the burning desire to 'know all there is to know' about basic a/c engine systems, checkout http://www.avweb.com/sponsors/skyranch/index.htm.

I'm not affiliated with skyranch, just impressed by the info that has been compilied on the CD.

Off to go admire my Bendix S-200 starting vibrator mags now........

By the way, throw away any Slick mag you see, I would be very greatful! :D

Balou said:
Laughed my a** off, mind if I use that one in the future ?;)

not at all ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back