• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Magneto lesson?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Hello Children, today we are going to discuss the wonders of FEDEC! The most important part of this whole system is the battery......."

Faraday rules! Long live the Bendix! (Slicks sux)

Teach the student how to fly, how to do ao mag check, how to correct a rough running mag, and don't try to teach them how to be a mechanic!!! Teach them well, but don't waste their time and money teaching them something they don't need to know. Simply explain that the mags provide electrical power to the engine after it is started, much like an altenator in a car. We have 2 of them in case one goes out. That way, if the altenator fails, the engine continues to run. Watch a NASCAR race. When a driver switches ingition boxes, that's the same as switching magnetos--just both of ours are working at all times. End of lesson.

F16fixer said:
I always compare it to a car. You can unhook the battery of a car and it will shut off.
Oh, really? I can unhook the battery, take it in the house, and put it in my closet, and the engine keeps running. The only thing the battery in the car is needed for is starting the thing.

If I unhook the battery in the car and it shuts off, I've got an alternator problem.

I'm with Dr Pokenhiemer here. They don't need to be mechanics. The mag produces electricity for ignition as it turns. Works good, lasts long time. 'Nuf said.

Yeah...but I've got my CFI initial coming up. Gotsta know to small stuff too.

Thanks again for all the help.

It goes spinny and makes sparky ;)

Remember, a lawnmower has mags (most everyone has operated a mower). No battery needed to continue running, just for starting. Also, the student does need to know how it works in order to better understand emergency procedures, etc. Five minutes on a mag lesson is worth it.

Quote: "We have 2 of them in case one goes out. That way, if the altenator fails, the engine continues to run" This is false, the mags and the charging circut are not connected together in any way.

Dr Pokenhiemer said:
don't try to teach them how to be a mechanic!!! Teach them well, but don't waste their time and money teaching them something they don't need to know.

Nope, Dr. Pokey, can't let you spread this swill. There is much more to learning to fly than wigglin' the stick 'n passin' the checkride. If you don't care to know how the mags work - that's your business, but I, and some people, need to know this simple spark generating system to understand why the engine runs without the battery. You are right that it really can't make any difference about being able to fly the airplane, but in order to be the master of the machine, I think that a basic knowledge of how things work gives me power over the machine. Instructors should be able to explain simple mechanical concepts.

What I meant was--New students have so much information to learn, it's like drinking from a fire hose. Don't add more to it than what they can handle. I instructed for 2 years-fulltime. Some students try to make a mountain out of a molehill on some things and make it harder than it has to be. Keep it simple for them, but challenge them at the same time.

Dr Pokenhiemer said:
What I meant was--New students have so much information to learn, it's like drinking from a fire hose. Don't add more to it than what they can handle. I instructed for 2 years-fulltime. Some students try to make a mountain out of a molehill on some things and make it harder than it has to be. Keep it simple for them, but challenge them at the same time.

Riiight! That is exactly true - and my little simplified explaination of how the mag makes a spark is about all I usually say about it, unless the student wants more.
You are right about some students and some instructors trying to do too much too soon.

O.K. thanks for corecting me on that statement! What I ment to add was that many newer vehicles have an electric fuel pump that is only run by the BATTERY. And if you unhook the battery it will shut off. Yes I have done this and that is what happens. (It has nothing to do with the alternator), but when it comes to airplanes you either have gravity fed tanks on your 152 or you have an engine driven fuel pump, so there is no reliance on a battery. This will keep the airplane running.
So why don't you go out in your drive way and unhook the battery from your CRX and see if it keeps running. If the fuel pump is directly hooked to the battery, I bet you can guess what will happen.

TonyC said:
Oh, really? I can unhook the battery, take it in the house, and put it in my closet, and the engine keeps running. The only thing the battery in the car is needed for is starting the thing.

If I unhook the battery in the car and it shuts off, I've got an alternator problem.

I'm with Dr Pokenhiemer here. They don't need to be mechanics. The mag produces electricity for ignition as it turns. Works good, lasts long time. 'Nuf said.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back