M.J. Files 5,000,000.00 Discrimination Lawsuit Against Northwest Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AgDownUnder said:
Granted I take the merits of the case as printed. As an All Lines insurance adjuster, I can tell you what my file manager would say, "Settle This". There's too much exposure at risk to go to trial, you don't let punis get there. If you go to FindLaw.com, you'll be able to find case history on Bad Faith issues. Insurance companies Fear these because juries historically set very high awards.

Ok. Where do I go to find all the cases of this nature that were thrown out by a judge due to lack of merit?

Occam's Razor said:
Fortunately, the courts don't render decisions with as little information as you had to reach your verdict.

A single-source newspaper article that doesn't confirm the details leads you to the conclusion that "...NWA and their insurance carrier doesn't want to risk the cost of the defense..."

The only facts in evidence here are:

1. Mark Jimenez is a crook.
2. He has filed a lawsuit.

Yea, but those two "facts" are not to be intertwined. Otherwise, we could rip every American a new asshole.

Occam's Razor said:
Ok. Where do I go to find all the cases of this nature that were thrown out by a judge due to lack of merit?

Well, if the airline put SOME of the people in a hotel but not all on a delay (IIRC) of over 8 hrs, and this guy complained and put up the money to put the rest up in a hotel after the airline refused, it'll be damn hard to show a lack of merit. If the reading material is correct, the prima facia case is made, it'll go to trial. A judge is very limited in his ability to dismiss cases. If you want to research it, it might be a good thing to do. You can start at Findlaw, and go down to Legal Aid or your nearest university that has a law library.

I understand the liability part, but I'm sure there is something missing here. Just for a sake of discussion, what if:
A) there were only so many rooms in town? What happens then?
And,
B) the particular group in question, did not want to stay at a place that NWA may have been able to get.

I doubt any thinking company would look at a group defined by race and say,, "tough luck for you, should have been born in Japan"

But of course, it is an airline,, and I don't see much thinking going on at any of them.

Hung Start said:
I understand the liability part, but I'm sure there is something missing here. Just for a sake of discussion, what if:
A) there were only so many rooms in town? What happens then?
And,
B) the particular group in question, did not want to stay at a place that NWA may have been able to get.

I doubt any thinking company would look at a group defined by race and say,, "tough luck for you, should have been born in Japan"

But of course, it is an airline,, and I don't see much thinking going on at any of them.

A) If rooms aren't available, well that's a mitigating factor, but since the plaintiff managed to put everyone up on his dime, this won't bear out.

B) They have to show this is the case, but the claimant didn't say that they wanted to put them in unacceptable quarters, he claims they refused quarters.

You'd be surprised at the amount of racism throughout the world. In Japan, this act may have been legal, however NWA is a US Flag carrier and thereby subject to US rules wherever it may be operating.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back