• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LUV Adjusts Fuel-Hedging Strategy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heat getting turned up on LUV. Welcome to the real world.

AA767AV8TOR

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/122408dnbusssouthwest.399369b.html

Southwest Airlines adjusts fuel-hedging strategy

09:45 PM CST on Tuesday, December 23, 2008

By: TERRY MAXON [email protected]

Southwest Airlines Co. – which maintained a competitive advantage by locking in prices...

It's not the article that would be offensive; it's the intro comment by the poster.

As for my attitude toward the poster...I'm all about AA pilots gettin a great contract! I wish all of you sincere luck...take the industry back!!!!:beer:

You might want to go re-read the thread starting article.....the hedging mastermind hasnt done so well lately.

The key word is lately. If you add up all the money we saved vs. what we have lost we are still way ahead. Also GK has said all along it was not meant to make money but to predict future cost. In a year when this mess is over and oil goes back up he will look like genious again.

I try to not be an angry man. I just feel like my Koolaid drip is running low or maybe the rose colored glasses have come off. Don't know. Hope it is temporary but I most certainly don't LUV all things Southwest like I have in the past 10 years. The whole codeshare "trust me" line is my biggest problem. I just cannot condone Mr. Kelly farming out our futures.

As far as a leveraged buyout? Are you serious? Gary is the CEO. That makes him the target of my rant. The stock is trading at a TEN YEAR LOW. If you look at the other transportation stocks you'll find they have held up MUCH better than Southwest Airlines. Alaska, for example, is trading at a 52 week HIGH. Our cash on hand is down 4 billion dollars in the past year. Our market cap is down 50% from last year which makes us a much bigger target for the leveraged buyout - not smaller. Gary has screwed the pooch on that front - or maybe not. Depends on his plans.

Just the facts as I see them bro. Please tell me I'm wrong.

V/R,
Gup

You could be right! But in my humble opinion I hope you are wrong. I agree I don't like the fact that we are farming out our flying but what do you suggest. I think if we can keep out the rj flying from here we should be ok. RJ'S are the problem, if we let even one on the property that is flown by someone other then a SWA pilot then we have big problems.
As for GK you know as well as I do that if he had not come up with the hedging strategy we would be just like everyone else, laying off pilots and parking airplanes. So far even with a 5% capacity cut we are still not furloughing. All I am saying is he at least deserves a chance!

For the record, RJs aren't the only problem. Trying to conduct flying by any other means than your current seniority list pilots is the problem. There is only one reason to do that..........it's cheaper. Finding cheaper labor is the first step to our last step. RJs are no different than an Airbus or 737. They all require pilots and if they do it cheaper than WN pilots, it's a problem for us at the table.

I will be voting no, probably in vain, but NO! Any language that permits codesharing of ANY kind gets a NO! I hate to be a hardass, but my daughter's gonna need a wedding paid for in 10+ years. It ain't about worrying about upgrade anymore, it's about keeping my job and my pay. I feel like I am fighting, literally, to keep my job.

Good, dude, you are...we all are now...there are no good flying gigs out there right now long term.

Sorry for interrupting the banter back and forth, but getting back to the article....

The article points out what I was hoping SWA would be doing in low price enviroment... unloading their high priced hedges.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Southwest said it is now "essentially" hedged for only 10 percent of its fuel needs for 2009 through 2013.

As recently as mid-October, Southwest had hedged 75 percent of its 2009 fuel usage at the equivalent $73 a barrel of crude oil, 50 percent of 2010's needs at $90 a barrel, 40 percent of its 2011 usage at $93 a barrel and over 35 percent of 2012 fuel at about $90 a barrel.

They need to dump those high priced hedges! Unfortunately it costs a little cash to do that. Dumping them is apparently better that using them to offset the fuel bill, or they would not be doing it. But I am convinced that they would rather have a set fuel budget line item with a locked in price, than deal with the wild swings of a barrel of oil.

While I am not a big fan of selling jets to lease them back, I only hope they are using that cash to buy up hedges at the $30 dollar level to lock in the rate there. That information will not become public until its required (SEC filings).

So for those that think those SWA hedges are finally running out.

The point is, SWA is no longer operating in a fuel hedge bubble anymore.

It seems to me that they are just returning some high cost hedges, raising some cash, and hopefully buying some low cost hedges for the next few years.

Just one opinion, take it or leave it.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back