Luggage for long haul pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cj610

I'm finally going to break down and buy a Purdy Neat bag. Did a search and got alot of good info about PNT. I'm still interested in Wingman but there just isn't enough posititive feedback on them. Before I do, I want to get some input from some of you long haul pilots. Crew members who are out two weeks plus.

I see some crew members w/ 22" PNT and "strap on" duffle. I think these are usually guys that came from real airline jobs and can't justify buying new one because old one won't wear out. Am I right?

How many days worth of clothes can you pack into the 22"/26". I'm leaning towards the 26" because I don't want to deal w/ three bags(roller/duffle/flight bag).

I was carrying a 22" American Tourister (Barbie Bag) and was packing 6 days worth of work/play and walking shoes. It is a little thicker than the Purdy Neat. Would I get the same load into 22" PNT. They look like you could overpack them a little bit and not worry about blowing out the zipper.

Anyway, looking for last minute Pros/Cons for Purdy Neat(Wingman too) before I go out and make this "investment".

CJ610

Don't ask me...

...I've gone through three bags in one year. Wheels've blown out on every single one.

Good luck.

cj610 said:
I'm finally going to break down and buy a Purdy Neat bag. ...

How many days worth of clothes can you pack into the 22"/26". I'm leaning towards the 26" because I don't want to deal w/ three bags(roller/duffle/flight bag).

I was carrying a 22" American Tourister (Barbie Bag) and was packing 6 days worth of work/play and walking shoes. It is a little thicker than the Purdy Neat. Would I get the same load into 22" PNT. They look like you could overpack them a little bit and not worry about blowing out the zipper.

Anyway, looking for last minute Pros/Cons for Purdy Neat(Wingman too) before I go out and make this "investment".
I've had the 26" Stealth bag from PNS (or was it PNT?) for about 5 years now, and it's still going strong. It's been around the globe, and I couldn't be happier. I've used it for 10 day trips, even carrying a pair of running shoes and a pair of casual shoes. (I hate wearing running shoes or uniform shoes to dinner.) It can be stuffed pretty tight, and the zippers are top-notch.

It just depends on how many of the little hotel shampoo bottles you want to bring back home with you. :)

bought a big roller bag from Costco...works great..no need to spend big bucks...besides it is nice to get a new one every few years. huge is good as you can take all your creature comforts.:)

Been using the PNS bags for over 10 years and millions of miles.

Never had the wheels or anything else fail.
The duffel bag option is good as ya can flatten it and carry in a front or back pocket, then if ya need extra space on the way home, voila, ya got it..

(For French wine, Dutch cheese or hotel shampoo bottles..:) )

PNS bags highly recommend..Have done 4 week trips and stuffed the bag 'till it appeared pregnant. It will take a licking and keep rolling..

Where I work you can be out for 20+ days at a shot, so I guess that would qualify for long haul.

I don't own a PNS bag, though I have noticed that the few pilots where I work that do have them is that they are overwhelmingly heavy. When you have them stuffed for a long trip the actual weight is pretty impressive - slinging these things out of the crew van with the bucket brigade is downright dangerous. Some of the guys have been close to busting check in baggage weight limits (which are getting smaller every day).

I have one each Travelpro bag that has been overhauled twice. It is absolutely beat up, but is still serviceable. I am not real ready to get a new bag since I am so used to the way I pack this one up and also because I am cheap.

I am considering going to a Briggs & Reilly bag. Probably a non-expandable 24 -26 inch model. A few of the pluses on these bags appear to be that the trolley assembly is mounted on the outside of the bag giving more internal room and they supposedly they have the best guarantee and service program in the luggage industry. It is supposed to cover even the damage inflicted by airline baggage handling.

Another bag that seems pretty resilient and the guys that own them seem satisfied with is the Costco bag. It seems like a good deal and once it's busted up you supposedly just have to turn it in and get a new one.

Overall any luggage in this industry is probably not going to last more than 5 years. I think it's all just a matter of how tattered you want your luggage to get. Wheels, handles, and zippers breaking is really the biggest issues to deal with.

They're heavy but very sturdy and can take a lot of abuse. As for size, that would depend if you're having to commute. The 26" is technically not "carry-aboardable" because it won't fit in the overhead bins bottom first. I have the 22" model for that reason alone. That way I'm assured of no hassles when commuting.

Latest resources

Back