Low time Pilot looking for a job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see.

Mainly, I wanted to clarify what English had said about male pilots having a "preconceived notion" about female pilots, and give an example of why that might be the case.

In contrast, I never for a minute thought that a) it was a good idea for me as a 300 some hour pilot to get "737 orientation training" or b) think that I was either prepared for or deserved consideration for any flying job other than flight instructor with that level of experience and c) after spending money on 737 training, think that becoming a flight instructor might be not be a good idea. While her "aircraft flown" is impressive for any 300 hour pilot, it is at least, unusual. I guess you just have to know some people with Senecas and King Airs. That's fortunate, but not necessarily a qualifier for a professional flying job outside of instruction.

My current student pilot just joined the 99's, and did so at my urging. I give her every encouragement that I can.

I do not, however, suggest to her that she'll be ready for any job other than instructor any time soon.

Now, armed with the advice that her best route is likely becoming an instructor right now, and with the reminder that she will need to get the job after the certificate AND log multi PIC time in order to become competitive over the next five years, she can be welcome in the sandbox with the rest of the sand fleas like me.

No problem.

Timebuilder said:
A lot of female pilots think that it's somehow okay to line up for the same job as a male pilot, but have far less time and experience.

Yes, a lot of female pilots out there think that, but there are many of us who do not. The ones that do make my blood boil and usually have other personality issues, if you know what I mean!

Somewhere along the way it seems wmn av8r got some bad career advice and is a bit off track with regards to realistic expectations right now.

I dont really think not doing the flight instructing thing is an option right now! In these competitive times, you need the CFII/MEI qualifications on your resume. Flight instructing and the experience you will gain from it is invaluable. It shouldn't be thought of as some nuissance that can be avoided if you're lucky.

I instructed for two years, flew a little corporate on the side while instructing just to augment CFI wages, and then went on to fly Part 135 freight in the middle of the night before I ever got my first 121 job.

That's the "Paying Dues" stuff that everyone just has to do! The fact of the matter is, that's where you gain experience. At 300 hours, you're barely wet behind the ears.

Yes, technically for a job you need to possess a Commercial Certificate with Instrument and Multi-Engine Ratings, and most people acquire that at around 300 hours, but that does not mean you are marketable for employment.

Just hussle and you'll find some instructing out there!

UPS Capt said:
The 52 hrs in the 737 sim is worthless without real world experience in the airplane....

Someone forgot to tell that to Southwest Airlines. They prefer a candidate with only the B737 type rating as opposed to one with actual 121 time in the aircraft, or so it seems. Trust me, this is from first-hand experience :(

Last edited:
Sour grapes, 750driver? How does this apply to this thread? I thought the topic was a low time pilot needing guidance...

English said:
Sour grapes, 750driver? How does this apply to this thread? I thought the topic was a low time pilot needing guidance...

English, UPS Captain made a statement in this thread, and I responded. This was my indirect way of stating that I agree with the Captain's comment. The B737 simulator time or type rating for that matter, is of little value without time in the aircraft.

As for your "sour grapes" comment, come back and tell me how you feel after you've been on the street for 20 months. It's always easier to speak when you're sitting up on your perch.

Last edited:
My apologies 750driver...But why did you change your post after I responded to you? Did you reread it and see the same thing I saw in it?

I have been furloughed twice since 9/11. I'm about to be furloughed a third time. So, there is no perch under me. I'm sorry you have become so bitter during your job search that you didn't recognize a little friendly banter. I've been there, and I know it's tough to keep positive while facing rejection on a regular basis during the job search. But bashing Southwest because you don't meet their minimum requirements seems a little childish. Especially the way you worded the comment before you went back and edited it.

I posted in order to repond to UPS Captain's statement. The edit was done because I felt the need to explain the statement. My fault for not being politically correct. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
CFI job

Here is the ad from flipdog.....

Employment with T&G provides...

· Access to 27 aircraft ranging from trainers to high-performance, complex, twin engine, and twin turbine-prop aircraft

· Almost 300 members, requiring instruction at various levels

· As much flying time as you want - full time instructors average 80-150 hours per month

· Very competitive pay rates ($13-22/hr)

· Benefits include health insurance, annual bonus, etc.

· Opportunities to get twin time on dead legs

· Best pilots will have opportunity to be hired for pilot services flying twin engine and twin turbine aircraft

Past T&G instructors went from T&G Flying Club to Continental Express, US Air, and ACA Airlines!

About T&G

· Started in 1978

· Largest flying club in Northeast Ohio

· Has own maintenance shop (Lost Nation Maintenance) thus ensuring quality and timeliness of maintenance

· Other affiliates include FBO (Lost Nation Av.), Charter Operations (AirZ), and Cheyenne Operations (Jet Prop Partners)

Requirements for hiring?

...At a minimum, you must be a CFI. Advanced ratings and experience will also be considered in our decision to employ, but they are not a prerequisite.

Locations

· BKL: Burke Lakefront Airport, 1501 N. Marginal Road, Cleveland

· CGF: Cuyahoga County Airport, 26300 Curtiss Wright Parkway, Richmond Heights

· LNN: Lost Nation Airport, 1885 Lost Nation Road, Willoughby

How do I get started?

...Please send resume via fax (216-289-5492) or email to

t&[email protected]
You can also call Michele Rosa at 216-241-2321 with questions.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back