Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I fLy pLaNeS

Living an Honest Life
Anybody have a link to an online resource for low-level flight ops?

Would be awesome if you could direct me to an ORM covering low-level risks. I found a Navy low altitude awareness training .pdf when I googled, but I really need something more comprehensive.

Thanks in advance.

If you're planning on going out and trying to run a low level, I highley recommend against it.

If you're just curious the DOD FLIP AP/1B is the planning pub that lists the routes, turn points, route widths, altitudes, etc. We also have electronic planning software updated by the NGA that is updated with vertical obstructions routinely (as well as the routes). Each low level is scheduled by the agency that owns it, and opened/closed through Flight Service. Bird hazards are also researched through the BASH program website, and Commanding Officers can and will limit low level training depending on forcast/observed bird activity. For the actual flying (from the Navy side) there is a pretty long low altitude training syllabus that everyone goes through in initial jet training, and again in the RAG/FRS/FTU.

As far as actually flying the thing, we brief the entire route to include terrain, hazards, limitations, obstructions, etc., ad naseum. Spit balling a low level leads to instances like the F-18 that went down in TN back around 2003 or the EA-6B that clipped the gondola in Italy way back when.

Hope that answers any questions you had.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. Currently using the NGA stuff. The BASH website is great--thanks for that. Unfortunately all the flying is random locations versus depicted routes.

Brother, if you're out raging around at 500' through unfamiliar areas (even familiar) you're playing with fire. Not only from a regulatory stand point, but safety wise as well. It's all fun and games until you clip an uncharted tower or one of those old power lines that's dental floss thin and impossible to see (worst case) or someone turns you over to the FAA. All it takes is someone on the ground voicing a complaint, and regardless of what you were doing, you're guilty until proven innocent, and the onus is on you to prove otherwise. Be safe...

I'm in the GA mtns and they run low level military ops a good bit around here. It's pretty cool to see a C-130 skimming the trees between mountains in the middle of the night.

I'm in the GA mtns and they run low level military ops a good bit around here. It's pretty cool to see a C-130 skimming the trees between mountains in the middle of the night.

I remember a few years ago watching several C-130's going LOW level through the mountains of Afghanistan in lead trail, at night, thinking to myself that they must be crazy. Serious stones on those guys.

Thank you and I appreciate your concern Sig. I should clarify my initial post. I fly for an agency doing low-level ops--the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed from the regulatory standpoint and as much as known safety-wise. I am wondering if anyone would like to share an ORM as I would appreciate this reference to ensure that mine is as comprehensive as possible.

PM'd you our training rules. If you have SIPR access, I can point you to some better resources.

Thanks man, however, even with clearance and CAC, I seriously doubt I would be able to access SIPR due to being non-DOD. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Thanks man, however, even with clearance and CAC, I seriously doubt I would be able to access SIPR due to being non-DOD. Thanks again for your suggestions!

SIPR is completely independant of NIPR. If you don't have access to a terminal, you're out of luck.

Latest resources

Back