• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Love Note To ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sorry, I'm a bleeding heart at heart (allow myself to introduce....myself) but I just can't understand the horrible injustice the Easties have gone through. I have no dog in this fight, but I would think anyone could see a little unity here might produce a contract that could make everyone happy regardless of their Nicolau (sp?) award.

PCL:

Yeah, those article 8 charges are a B^%#$....especially when you are a newly minted member of the USAPA...

Noone at USAir East gives a rats a$$ about receivership, or the chance that an article 8 hearing will be conducted. They won't even show up for it.

I have said it once, I'll say it again for those of you who are thicker skulled than most.....the East pilots have lost everything, other than a lower than most paid First Officer job with not much of a chance of anything else, have lost their pension, and see no light at the end of the tunnel. The fact that you all want them to eat $hit so you can get a better contract and working conditions shows what a failure ALPA and the "brotherhood" really is.

A350

A350,

No one wants the East pilots to eat crap. As a matter of fact I find the USAir pilots are to the some of the uptmost dedicated and professional pilots that I have met. USAir until recently was an airline that most hoped that could have a chance to go to (I was one of them). That was all changed by very bad management. USAir's problems in my opinion with an MEC that wanted all or nothing. No compromise. Going to arbitration is the worst thing they could have done. You have to remember who handed down the verdict. It was not ALPA. Speaking of fellow ALPA brothers do think it would have been okay to punish the West guys? Date of hire would have been ridiculous. Maybe in the future instead of fighting ALPA the can make amendements like have fences for a while on certain flying. Im not saying they cannot argue their case, but removing ALPA as an anger response is not the answer. It only drives a wedge in the pilot groups making harder to better future contracts and unity. You lost your retirements. So did I. ALPA is at least working on finding ways in legislature to prevent that in the future.

Meat:

All good points....however, telling me that ALPA is going to save someone else's pension as a reason for me to be behind them is like the perverbial closing the door after the horse has run away.

Noone asked for DOH.....they asked for DOS plus fences. Fences that would have protected both sides from unwanted consequences. Nowhere in any post of mine did I say that the AWA pilots should be punished or that they should suffer any harm.

The problem with ALPA is that it is always asking someone to eat $hit for someone else, but noone wants to do it....so everyone suffers.

PCL: The USAPA drive may fail....but someday, somewhere, ALPA will get kicked to the curb. Look at the Colgan pilots. Look at the Skywest pilots. BTW, nice ad in the McPaper....did you write that?

A350

If the 3rd you are referring to is the Secretary/Treasurer then to be technically correct, they are not a "rep" and do not have any voting authority without proxy, hence why they may not be signed to the letter.

Thanks for the clarification. Just thought it was interesting that his signature was missing because all the other correspondence that previously eminated from that council were signed by all 3 members. Just struck me as odd that this one wasn't.

PHXFLYR

ALPA didnt do this to them. They did it to themselves. Didnt they agree to the binding arbitration? Didnt they keep their mouths shut after it was handed down to them. What do they expect the AWA guys to get shafted because of USAir management practices. They will be able to upgrade faster then if they were on their own. Besides, decertifying ALPA is not going to make the integration any diffrent. Its a ********************ty vocal minority that thinks they are really going to be able to change things. As for Skywest you just reinforced the fact of how stupid you really are. You must think that in this industry it is better not to be represented. Yeah great idea! Next time you want something better from your management bring the knee pads and pucker up!

Well than who the heck is ALPA takin' it back from? It certainly isn't management. My point is this. ALPA is ineffective when it comes to the issues of the day.

Hmmm....Age 65...Big ALPA beaten back by APAAD and SWAPA

Let's see...All the carriers that lost their pensions post 9/11....ALPA represented. AA pilots represented by APA still have a pension

All off the latest mergers/buyouts have been a disaster for ALPA represented pilots. TWA and USAIR. That can't be denied.

My point is this...ALPA has too many irons in the fire and often the representation of one pilot group is in conflict with that of another ALPA represented pilot group. Clearly ALPA is not the force it claims to be on Capitol Hill (Note age 65, cabotage in Alaska, etc). I think that certain pilot groups feel that they would be better represented by a union that truly hold's their best interests at heart...not ALPA nationals best interests, or what is good for some other airlines employees.

If USAIR pilots feel disenfranchised, then they should have a right to change who is representing them. It may be a disaster or worse than what they currently have, but it may not be. It certainly seems to have worked out OK for the APA and AA pilots. Most people here are worried about the demise of their beloved ALPA, but change doesn't have to be at all bad.

Oh yeah, my whole point about Sky West guys was this....don't put all your faith in ALPA to fix all your problems. ALPA is sold as the medicine to cure all your pilot ills.

Many pilot groups are represented by themselves and for themselves...Many of them pay ALPA for services which they use to represent themselves. Might be an option....I'd be wary of a vision of Prater as a knight on white horse coming to your rescue.

A350, hate to break it to you, but USAPA will never become a reality. The USAPA drive will fail, the AAA MEC will be taken into receivership, and a joint contract will be negotiated.
Best has a whole bagful of personal issues...he'd be best just flyin...

Latest resources

Back