Lots to consider....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NEDude said:
Man this pi$$es me off. People with attitudes should never be allowed in the training department. This is a perfect example of why. This company just invested about $10,000-$12,000 in your training and you are thinking of leaving because of a bad instructor. Training departments should be more selective IMHO.

BTW, I speak with a little experience. I was a Beech 1900 instructor for an airline for about two years. Of course if they were more selective, I probably wouldn't have gotten the job :D

Just wanted to say nice Avatar. Although I almost lost my BOO BERRY breakfast all over my computer monitor.

pilotyip said:
Definitely do not quit in training, it is a black mark that will follow you for a least five years, PIRA, extremely hard to explain in a future interview...

What ever you do, DO NOT QUIT. PRIA - Pilot's Records Information Act is the exact reason why. When you apply in the future to another airline you WILL have to put on your application EVERY airline you were employed by. The prospective airline will check your training records. It will come out that you left during training at this airline. It's a ten-year hit on your records. You do not want to spend time in the interview trying to explain it away. If you don't divulge it in the interview, your app will go into the trash as soon as it's discovered. And the "instructor was a ***t" won't cut it.

Besides, you made it! If your instructor was that concerned, you wouldn't have been recommended for your 121.441 ride and probably wouldn't have passed. Go enjoy IOE. The experience will probably be totally different. BTW, you're going to fly with some captains out there you won't like. God knows we all have. It's part of the job. Be a professional.

My reasoning for wanting to finish my degree is not solely because of the majors. It's also because I've always wanted to do something on the side anyways. I have friends who are Major captains that have told me several stories about flying with guys who were Doctors, Lawyers, etc. I always kind of considered seeing myself doing something like that. The problem is I love to fly but I don't love to fly to the point of being treated like crap, so thats why I want the degree.

The worse part about this whole training experience is that in my opinion, and the captain I was paired up with, I did not do that bad flying. Not compared to some. So I must have gotten the intructors with the stick up there asses.

All this advice is much appreciated guys, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply!!

Stick with it.

You have to decide what you want. If you wanted to finish school you should have done that prior to applying with the airlines. Future employers WILL ask you about everything on your educational and employment records and it probably wouldn't look good to leave an airline right after being hired, it will be hard to explain and it makes you look indecisive. Since I've only heard your side of the story I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the instructor was the problem. I would be interested to know what the instructor's impression of you was. From time to time in this industry, and every other industry for that matter, you will have to work with people who you would prefer not to work with. That's just the way it is.

From the perspective of someone who has been in the small airline industry a long time you should consider yourself lucky. You were hired by an airline with very little experience and you have made it through training successfully. Go through OE and get out on the line and I'm sure you will fly with mostly nice Captains. There are some jerks at every airline but you have to learn to work with everybody. You're still very young so give it at least a year and then decide what you want to do. You can either get your degree while still being a pilot (lots of people do this) or go back to school full time. If you leave after a year on good terms to go back to school it will be easier to explain in the future. You may even decide that airline flying or even flying in general is not for you after you have had some exposure to the career. If this is the case you have the option to go back to school and train for another career. Initial airline training can be very stressful so don't make any rash decisions. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

It might have been said already. But at least stay there long enough to meet the minimums of the majority of all the other regional carriers out there. Remember what a b*tch it was to build your multi time up??? Flying the line for 4-5 months should get you plenty.

Whether you quit and go straight to another regional, or quit and finish school, you've gotta meet the minimums to even have a chance.

Socalplt said:
Just what exactly was the instructor giving you a hard time about?

It wasn't just one or two things. It was the last 3 sessions when we had him and he yelled, stomped on the floor, and snapped his fingers at both of us quite frequently.

B1900FO said:
It wasn't just one or two things. It was the last 3 sessions when we had him and he yelled, stomped on the floor, and snapped his fingers at both of us quite frequently.

Oh. That. Forget about him. You'll run into him over and over again, until you retire.

Go do your OE, and then go have some fun. It'll all be new and exciting for you. Study up on your airports.

B1900FO said:

Ok. That's sounds unusal and un-professional. Don't worry about it. It's not the norm...and if he continues that sort of behavior, he won't be an instructor for very long.

One other thought. You're only 20. You have three years until you can sit in the left seat anyway. Spend three or four months on the line and then put your app in with a RJ carrier. Lot's of young guys do this. Spend the next several years in a jet. The pay will be better and you have to wait for the PIC time anyway. If you were 22 or 23 I would say hold out for the upgrade at your current carrier.

Last thought, though. Toughen up, man!

PS - If you're working at Colgan, PM me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back