Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lost/Stolen Aircraft Operating Manual......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly91

Registered Pilot
Anyone have this happen or have experience or knowledge what to do about it? I'm helping a guy sell two jets and one of them is missing the Ops Manual. It was actually stolen, but whatever.

How does one go about fixing this situation?

You're talking about the AFM?

You can get a replacement from the manufacture. Replacements are pricey, but you gotta have it.

Get a replacement manual. It's not legal to fly around without one no matter what operation you call yourself subject to interpretation of the FED performing the ramp check.

YES....the AFM....

It's just some owner I'm trying to help out.....to get his plane back to FLL. It was stolen.

I know you cannot fly without it. FAA said they will give me a ferry permit to fly it from Colombia back to FLL.

I was just wondering what it takes to get another one because there's a ton of paperwork in the AFM from the past 20 years. That stuff cannot be given to you by the manufacturer. Another book is simple, it's just a book. Is the paperwork through the years that's hard to get.

You basically have to rebuild it as good as possible...then submit it for approval to the FAA.

Ok, so if I understand, you're missing all the usual stuff that is part of the AFM, right?

Supplements, 337's, equipment list, weight and balance, etc? Is this correct?

To replace and/or get some of this stuff back, you need to start in a few places:

1. Do you have the airframe logbook(s)? If so, there should be entries for any of the mods/additions/STC's that generated a 337. I believe the FAA keeps copies of 337's. And certainly the maintenance facility/mechanic will have a copy, although I am not sure how long they are required to keep them on file.

For the equipment list, you can certainly get one from the manufacture for when the aircraft was delivered, then update as necessary as you get the 337's in order.

Weight and balance is fairly easy, as you simply re-weight the aircraft. However, without a valid equipment list, that's essentially a waste of time, as you can't fly without the latter.

If the aircraft was ever maintained at a factory service center, make some calls as they keep older records and eventually transfer them to film. Won't be cheap, but you can get them.

What type of aircraft are we talking here? If a turboprop or jet that has will likely have been maintained by reputable shops, this is shouldn't be too difficult.

If a small piston that's had work done by dozens of shops or mechanics over the years, a much harder effort.

But in any event, if you have the airframe logbook, start there....

Good luck,

Ultra

Ok, so if I understand, you're missing all the usual stuff that is part of the AFM, right?

Supplements, 337's, equipment list, weight and balance, etc? Is this correct?

To replace and/or get some of this stuff back, you need to start in a few places:

1. Do you have the airframe logbook(s)? If so, there should be entries for any of the mods/additions/STC's that generated a 337. I believe the FAA keeps copies of 337's. And certainly the maintenance facility/mechanic will have a copy, although I am not sure how long they are required to keep them on file.

For the equipment list, you can certainly get one from the manufacture for when the aircraft was delivered, then update as necessary as you get the 337's in order.

Weight and balance is fairly easy, as you simply re-weight the aircraft. However, without a valid equipment list, that's essentially a waste of time, as you can't fly without the latter.

If the aircraft was ever maintained at a factory service center, make some calls as they keep older records and eventually transfer them to film. Won't be cheap, but you can get them.

What type of aircraft are we talking here? If a turboprop or jet that has will likely have been maintained by reputable shops, this is shouldn't be too difficult.

If a small piston that's had work done by dozens of shops or mechanics over the years, a much harder effort.

But in any event, if you have the airframe logbook, start there....

Good luck,

Ultra

Thanks......

Yea, a mechanic was hired to go through the logbooks they have from the day the plane was delivered. Luckily they have them all. The FAA said to just build a new book as good as they can with copies of what they have and records they can get from any shops the plane has been at for work. They will then take that new book of documents, new Wt & Bal, current equipment list, along with a new basic manufacturers book for that model and year aircraft (Lear 25D) and approve it for use as the new AFM.

Lear 25..... I bet the owner wishes it was never found.

Well, I wish I had the money to do what he does. Buys Lear 25's in the USA for $100-150K......takes them to Colombia and other countries and sells them for triple. He's a plane flipper.......Lear 25's are the best for that right now. No other plane can do it.......

If you need to ferry the plane, just to get some work done before you export it, you can get a ferry permit. If a guy is making money flipping Lears, which is cool, he can afford to get a new manual sent down from the manufacturer. It's not cheap to do so, though.

Also, if you wind up delivering any of the planes, make triple-sure all your paperwork is square. Don't let a warm-fuzzy from handlers let you get lax on that stuff. It has really bitten some friends of mine.

Hope you have fun with it, man!

Latest resources

Back