Loss of Oil Pressure on PA-44

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
buxflyr said:
Now you can start talking about the "Frise" ailerons and how they are used to counteract the adverse yaw. This is the upward facing aileron...
I have flown airplanes with normally-hinged ailerons; airplanes with ailerons that travel further when up than when down; airplanes with spoilers only; airplanes with spoilers that go up on one wing while the aileron on the opposite wing only goes down, not up; airplanes with inboard and outboard ailerons where the outboard ailerons are locked out at high speeds and airplanes with Aileron Rudder Interconnect(ARI.) I can't recall ever seeing an aircraft with top-hinged Frise-type ailerons where profile drag on the bottom of the aileron is used to counteract adverse yaw due to induced drag on the opposite aileron. I'm sure they exist, though.

buxflyr said:
Also, I would think that any positive effect that lowering the gear would have on Vmc would be offset by the large amount of drag that gear is creating.

Yeah, but you gotta land sometime so it helps to know what lowering the gear is going to do to aircraft handling qualities.

Multiengine Vmc (what affects it) is a compromise between performance and control. What helps performance hurts control and vice versa.

FL420 said:
I have flown airplanes with normally-hinged ailerons; airplanes with ailerons that travel further when up than when down; airplanes with spoilers only; airplanes with spoilers that go up on one wing while the aileron on the opposite wing only goes down, not up; airplanes with inboard and outboard ailerons where the outboard ailerons are locked out at high speeds and airplanes with Aileron Rudder Interconnect(ARI.) I can't recall ever seeing an aircraft with top-hinged Frise-type ailerons where profile drag on the bottom of the aileron is used to counteract adverse yaw due to induced drag on the opposite aileron. I'm sure they exist, though.

You've never flown a 172? 152?

minitour said:
You've never flown a 172? 152?

Uh, yeah. The Cessna singles I've flown are the C150/152/172/172RG/177RG/182/195 and 210, but granted, all a long time ago. I'm starting to work on getting the civilian CFI/CFII/MEI ratings so will have the opportunity to check out the C172 and PA44 ailerons soon.

I did some digging and all I could come up with is all the so-called aviation experts(i.e.-denizens of forums like this and other places) cannot agree on which Cessna singles have Frise-type ailerons and which don't. They especially can't agree on the C152 and C172.

Looking at a picture of the C172 aileron hinge makes me think you could possibly stretch the definition of a Frise aileron to include the little piano hinge mounted at the top of the front rib. It doesn't appear that any part of the aileron sticks down into the airflow to create profile drag although I suppose the gap created when the aileron pivots up could create some interference drag.

I'm always happy to learn something new.

FL420 said:

Look at this article again.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/dynamics/q0045.shtml

About half way down is the picture showing the Frise Ailerons. Without knowing how to draw on here, its the best way to see the effect. The air does flow through the small slot as well, but from how it was explained to me, the front part of the aileron is doing most of the work by creating more profile drag, and thus counter-acting the yaw.

By the way...how did you get to fly all of those airplanes you list? Know alot of people?

FL420 said:
Uh, yeah.

I was just checking.

The 152s and 172s I've flown have an extra "piece" that is extended from the leading edge of the aileron. When the aileron is down, this piece is tucked in the gap, when the aileron is deflected up, the piece hangs out in the airstream.

Very little, but it's there.

-mini

buxflyr said:
Look at this article again.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/dynamics/q0045.shtml

About half way down is the picture showing the Frise Ailerons. Without knowing how to draw on here, its the best way to see the effect. The air does flow through the small slot as well, but from how it was explained to me, the front part of the aileron is doing most of the work by creating more profile drag, and thus counter-acting the yaw.

Here is a photo of an aileron on a C172:

http://www.weekendcfii.com/photos/c172preflt/C172_aileron_hinge.jpg

IIRC, the bottom of the aileron is flush with the bottom of the trailing edge of the wing when neutral. I don't think any part of the aileron lowers into the free airstream when the aileron is up. It does create quite a gap between the bottom of the wing and the bottom of the aileron when up. The illustrations of a Frise aileron in the article cited above definitely show the bottom of the leading edge of the aileron sticking down below the wing. That's not happening here.

buxflyr said:
By the way...how did you get to fly all of those airplanes you list? Know alot of people?

My dad and his twin brother were longtime pilots and aircraft mechanics. My first ride in an airplane was at age 2 in a Waco UPF-7. Unfortunately, I don't remember it.

Dad owned a Fairchild 24C and a Stinson 108. I inherited the Stinson and owned a Globe Swift for many years. Hanging out at airports and being older than dirt accounts for all the rest.

FL420 said:
Here is a photo of an aileron on a C172:

http://www.weekendcfii.com/photos/c172preflt/C172_aileron_hinge.jpg

IIRC, the bottom of the aileron is flush with the bottom of the trailing edge of the wing when neutral. I don't think any part of the aileron lowers into the free airstream when the aileron is up. It does create quite a gap between the bottom of the wing and the bottom of the aileron when up. The illustrations of a Frise aileron in the article cited above definitely show the bottom of the leading edge of the aileron sticking down below the wing. That's not happening here.

Yea, and the thing is... it doesnt seem to make that huge of a difference on the pa-44 either....but its there, and the reason I started this whole thread was because the ailerons, (i had to draw it out) along with the oil pressure question was on my multi oral. The responses have been great though... learned even more now!

I have not gotten to this point yet, but what do most jets use? Any certain type besides a combo of outboard/inboard, etc? What about heavy's vs. rj's?

FL420 said:
I don't think any part of the aileron lowers into the free airstream when the aileron is up.

It does...not nearly to the extent of the pictures in the article, but it does.

They are definitely differential-frise ailerons.

-mini

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back