Loss of license insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smash312

I have a question that I'm not too sure about. I have received a letter from ALPA about loss of license coverage. I want to know if Diabetes is a illness which leads to loss of license?

"Medical confirmation of inability to fly" is defined as " Medical confirmation of your inability to fly; in addition sometime during the waiting period, you will be required to provide the insurer with your FAA denial of medical certification in order to be approved for benefits".

Now with the above statement in mind, I want to know if Diabetes is qualifing. The reason is that my family has a history of diabetes. Thank God (touch wood) I'm healthy - in the late 20's but having seen my father suffer from diabetes and then a stroke that took his life - I know his company provided all the coverage he needed.

I know if he hadn't have had this coverage, we'd have been left homeless. I want to make sure that I make the same provisions that he did. I want to know if loss of licence insurances usually include diabetes as being a qualifying illness. Hope I never have to use it - but better the devil you know.

Thanks.

I am about to loose my medical due to heart disease so I been doing some research. The following info comes directly from the FAA website. The actual address is at the bottom but here is the that page will tell you:

Pilot Medical Certification Questions and Answers
What medical conditions does the FAA consider disqualifying?
The following conditions are listed in the regulations as disqualifying medical conditions; however, in many cases when the condition is adequately controlled, the FAA will issue medical certification contingent on periodic reports.

Angina pectoris
Bipolar disease
Cardiac valve replacement
Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant
Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause
Epilepsy
Heart replacement
Myocardial infarction
Permanent cardiac pacemaker
Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts
Psychosis
Substance abuse
Substance dependence
Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause.
Other conditions not specifically listed in the regulations are also disqualifying. For further information refer to the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners.

I have the ALPA loss of lic. insurance. FYI, there is a 1 year waiting period before you begin to receive benefits. Benefits are good for 48 months. Monthly benefits range from around 1200/month to around 3300/month. With your possible family history its probably worth the investment.

Good luck!
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response6/

LOL Insurance

You def want the LOL insurance to be in force BEFORE you are diagnosed with a possibly FAA Aeromed catch all that makes them look at you twice.

My LOL agency had me do an interview prior to policy issuance (pre ADA days) and then wrote into the policy that any LOL attributed to a prior condition existing would nullify the possibility of renumeration, and it is not like I could hide the PEC. It had already been reported to the FAA.

Now if a new condition results in LOL, they should pay up.

The other side of it is that The LOL agency will bend over backwards, allegedly, to help you retain your Med status as good so they don't have to pay out, so I have been told.

I would reco just get it, in any case, (LOL insurance) cause you just never know. May not be Diabetes, could be anything else.

FWIW

Latest resources

Back