Loss of license insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Club ORD FO

One of the only good things about ALPA was the extra insurance you could get, like loss of medical/license and so on. And some airlines run their own programs like that, but how about us frac folks? anybody know of any insurance providers that offer that? Just in case I have a tragic cheese grater accident or something.

At NetJets loss of medical insurance is included in the benefits package. If we lose it we have two years to get it back and they will pay 60% of our annual salary until we do. Pretty sweet.

2 years at 60%, but only up to $5000 a month. Hopefully we will eventually get an option to extend it out beyond 2 years even if we must pay out of pocket to do so. It is just too darn easy to lose a medical and I would be glad to pay a reasonable amount for longer coverage, even if it was for just 2 or 3 thousand a month after 2 years. That way I could afford to do some other type of work that I may enjoy a little bit, but that doesn't pay as well and still make descent money overall. I believe 1108 had someone looking into it briefly, but then getting NJASAP on track kind of sucked up the time and resources for a while now. Hopefully they will get back into looking at it after the elections.

The problem with the Harvey Watt products (at least those that most fractional pilots qualify for) is that they are based on the Social Security definition of disability- truly unable to work (not just loss of your pilot medical for something like diabetes, heart issues, or whatever else that can be controlled and allow you to still work quite a few other types of jobs). A pilot is much more likely to just lose the medical and not be able to meet the Social Security definition of disabled than to be truly disabled. The Harvey Watt products are pretty difficult to get paid on unless you are much more unlucky than most who lose their medical. Thanks for the info, but upon examination, it won't really work for my needs.

CS provides short term disability insurance at 60% up to $2500 per week with an option to for the employee to buy extra coverage.

The company also provides long term disability at 60% up to $10,000 per month. Disability is defined as loss of first class medical.

Could you tell us what the extra coverage is that employees can pay extra for at CS? I'm curious if it is something that other companies can do/ offer also that isn't based on the Social Security definition (the extra coverage that is). I would definitely like to see my union either push the company or set up a group plan ourselves that offers payments for loss of medical beyond the 2 years for a reasonable price.

Latest resources

Back