• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Loss of engine in the soup

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All of that being said, ask any experienced CFII, freight dog or alaska pilot how they feel about flying a single in WX that is at or near minimums. They'll tell you it is done all the time.

I'm not certain who the "they" in that statement is, but I sorta suspect I'm one of them, and I don't agree with flying single engine instruments at all. I learned the hard way after deadsticking to a landing in a 182 many moons ago following an engine failure IMC. I landed on a gravel strip that was beneath me when I emerged from the higher cloud bases, but to this day am not impressed in the least with the idea of flying single engine instruments, especially in piston equipment.

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
This is why you should NEVER fly single-engine IFR when it's low outside.

There are not many "absolutes" in aviation, and this isn't one of them. As mentioned above, it's about risk management. To say "NEVER" fly IFR in SE aircraft is something I disagree with wholeheartedly.
If engine no-worky, then fly the aircraft, and make engine worky again. If that won't happen, it gets complicated (obviously).

When teaching primary students in single-engine aircraft, I used an acronym to teach a flow to manage a power failure. Works the same for IFR or VFR. Yours free if you want it.

G - A - T - R - E...pronounce it like "gator."

G = Glide. Trim for best glide speed.

A = Area. Turn toward a suitable landing area (If IFR, to an airport you know you can make; or, if none, turn into the wind)

T = Troubleshoot. Check fuel on or switch tanks, turn on boost pump (if any), mixture rich, carb heat hot (if any) or alt. air selected on, check mags. Attempt a restart.

R = Radio. Tell somebody about your predicament. If VFR out in the sticks, probably a call on 121.5 is your best bet, but if IFR talk directly to your controlling ATC station at the time.

E = Exit. Before you land (or, if IMC, before impact) unlatch the doors, turn off the fuel, set final flaps (assuming electric flaps) before you turn off the master. If in solid IMC and you know the approximate height of terrain under you...you DO know this, don't you...then set full flaps, slow to 5 knots above stall, level the wings, and wait. People debate about the gear in a retractable. Personally I would extend it before impact unless I knew I was over water (E-w-w-w-w...poor planning all the way around, eh what?)...the more things sticking out, the more things to get torn off and absorb energy.

avbug said:
I'm not certain who the "they" in that statement is, but I sorta suspect I'm one of them, and I don't agree with flying single engine instruments at all. I learned the hard way after deadsticking to a landing in a 182 many moons ago following an engine failure IMC. I landed on a gravel strip that was beneath me when I emerged from the higher cloud bases, but to this day am not impressed in the least with the idea of flying single engine instruments, especially in piston equipment.

All I meant is that people in those professions, especially the last two, do an awful lot of flying in low IMC. Would they rather have a twin? Absolutely. Do they do it all the time in singles? Absolutely.

Glad your time wasn't up that day.

avbug said:
I think that I'm also one of "them". There was a time in my life when I wouldn't have given much thought to flying single-engine IFR day or night. That was a long time ago. Now days, I'll let the eager, young time-builders have all of that time. About the only SE IFR I'm up to is during the day, enroute, with a solid VFR conditions underneath me.

'Sled

onthebeach said:
Personally I would extend it before impact unless I knew I was over water (E-w-w-w-w...poor planning all the way around, eh what?)...the more things sticking out, the more things to get torn off and absorb energy.
I agree with this whole heartedly, I balled up an apache after an engine failure during takeoff, the docs told me that the only thing that saved my spine was the gear soaking up some of the the 7g impact

STAY CALM Trim for best glide, declare an emergency--ask for vectors to nearest airport, STAY CALM, troubleshoot on the way down. STAY CALM, land safely, Calmly change underwear (so people won't see how calm you were).

Latest resources

Back