Losing Interest. Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medicryan

I am about 3/4's through my commercial and I am just getting so sick of doing manuevers it is killing me. They are not that hard, I just cannot stand doing them over and over again. I am almost at the point where I dred going flying because I know I am just going to do a bunch of chandelle's. And what is killing me more is the fact that I am not even close to being done with everything. I still have 5 more checkrides to go. My best friend from high school is an FO at Pinnacle and he told me that they are renegotiating their contract in December which translates into even less pay. He said it is not worth it and he may be calling it quits soon. That definitely did not get my motivation back up. There is no way that I am going to quit, I want it too bad, but if their are any of you guys that have experienced this during your training can you please give me some words of encouragement and some tips of how to stay motivated and focused.

Thanks guys,

Ryan

Why don't you go up and do something different like fly from the right seat ect. There are a lot of things you can do that are fun and make practical use of the commercial maneuvers! I Would not say they are the safest things to do becuse of being so close to other aircraft &/or low level but they are fun.

All work and no play........
You can definitely burn out on the calisthenic-drill routine. Try a break from that, rent your favorite bird for the weekend, and invite your sweetie along for a vacation trip to somewhere fun, or just the $100 burger to a cool airport cafe for the day, or take friends for a scenic tour....in other words, try some fun flying for a change. The motivation for the hard-core practice will come back eventually, but not if you burn out completely! (Been there....)

Get into aerobatics, if you can swing it. But I hear you: "civilian aviation for pay" is a painful lifesytle and profession. You need to do it for the love of it, 'cause you probably won't get rich.

Huggyu2 said:
Get into aerobatics, if you can swing it. But I hear you: "civilian aviation for pay" is a painful lifesytle and profession. You need to do it for the love of it, 'cause you probably won't get rich.

What he said!

Why not just walk away? Put flying aside for a day, a week, a month or a year. Do whatever it takes to get your mojo back. Remember, we're no longer in this for the money. Fly because you love it. Plateaus in training are normal; however you make it sound like your frustration is beyond a simple roadblock in training. Fly because you love it, not because it's some chore you feel compelled to complete.

I don't know your money situation, but sounds like you need either a long cross country, or some solo time just to decompress......

just my two cents!!

All I can say is get used to this feeling. Don't ever go into airline flying if this is boring you already. After SJS wears off and you realize you are just flying regional junk to and from the same 20 airports for the forseeable future, it's gonna get REAL boring. You'll have every route, ILS and center frequency memorized and it will be about as exciting as watching paint dry. All while making 15-30k a year. Theat's the reality of it. It's not going to be that exciting. Even in fractional flying, you're going to see the SAME airports again and again. Sure you will get to go to out of the way places but the majority of time will be in places like Teterhole.

cezzna said:
All I can say is get used to this feeling. Don't ever go into airline flying if this is boring you already. After SJS wears off and you realize you are just flying regional junk to and from the same 20 airports for the forseeable future, it's gonna get REAL boring. You'll have every route, ILS and center frequency memorized and it will be about as exciting as watching paint dry. All while making 15-30k a year. Theat's the reality of it. It's not going to be that exciting. Even in fractional flying, you're going to see the SAME airports again and again. Sure you will get to go to out of the way places but the majority of time will be in places like Teterhole.

Ditto! Below 10,000 ft is where the excitement is when flying jets.....to me anyway. It does get boring up there sometimes, but it beats looking at some ugly secretary while you push a pencil. Instead you look at some fat ugly flight attendant. Do it because you love it!

Latest resources

Back