LORs and military rank

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

milflyboy

I have read somewhere that it is best to leave out military rank in LORs for the Airlines, but what if the letter is from a supervisor within the military? Should he address you with rank in the letter and should he include his rank?

milflyboy said:
I have read somewhere that it is best to leave out military rank in LORs for the Airlines, but what if the letter is from a supervisor within the military? Should he address you with rank in the letter and should he include his rank?
In the LORs I got - they called me by my name vs rank..but they did sign it as LtCol or Col, etc.and put their duty title....so the companies knew they were my Sq CC or Chief Pilot, etc.

dtfl said:
In the LORs I got - they called me by my name vs rank..but they did sign it as LtCol or Col, etc.and put their duty title....so the companies knew they were my Sq CC or Chief Pilot, etc.

dtfl is spot on

Take it even farther. Make sure the rank and title is on there. Personal phrases like "my most trusted and capable pilot who will be sorely missed" are what you want. Not too long though, about3/4 of 1 page MAX.

Good luck.

Lor???

Heck,

When I was in the military, LOR meant Letter of Reprimand. I guess the military doesn't use the term NJP (Non-judicial Punishment) any more.

I made a distinction....I would never turn in a LOR when a recommendation letter would do.

DTFL....you were a gunship guy...you should know all about LOR's.

Why would you want to mention that to a future employer?!!!

;-)

Just to muddy the water a bit. I've written a few letters over the years (in a previous life as a mil chief pilot in the late 90's and early 00"s and as an FO here at SWA. I've talked to interviewers who really liked seeing the rank on the Letters of Recommmendations (LOR's) and preferred to see it on the resumes. You are who you are and you're recent job history is military...so have a bit of pride or contentment or good vibes in it...whatever works. Your prospective employer will expect you to have all the above when chosen to be "a new FO with ______ airlines". But if you're a 25-year Lt with a half-a-dozen disciplinary write-ups...you may want to rethink things. I'v

A fair number of folks who do the interviews (at least at SWA) have a military background and understand the efforts you've made to make rank. Some of the interview team folks got out at first opportunity or a couple of years later and some did the full 20 or 20+ years. Even the guys who got out early understand the military mindset of the higher-ups (and the type of people who make O-6 or Sqdn CC) versus the O-4/O-5 who worked the line, did the mandatory desk job somewhere along the way, and then made sure they were in a flying job at the end of their career...showing that they joined the military to be a pilot versus the party line of "Officer first". And, since we all sit down in the bar and trade flying stories (civvie or mil)...we all learn a bit about the other avenue to the airlines along the way. So, there's a good chance the civvie who may be interviewing you has a bit of an idea of what the rank advancement in the military means.

A lot of these guys still live in the vicinity of military installations and make it into the bar for promotions, retirements, etc and stay in tune with the "goings on". Most of your interview answers will be based on the military flying you've done, so you won't be hiding anything there.

My "minimally worthwhile" suggestion is to let you LOR writers do their thing and use your rank. Your buddies from inside the particular airline who flew with you in the military can use whatever they want, based on what they've learned from the recommendation process and chatting with their chief pilots, interviewers, etc. Good luck........

Last edited:
Laughing_Jakal said:
Heck,

When I was in the military, LOR meant Letter of Reprimand. I guess the military doesn't use the term NJP (Non-judicial Punishment) any more.

I made a distinction....I would never turn in a LOR when a recommendation letter would do.

DTFL....you were a gunship guy...you should know all about LOR's.

Why would you want to mention that to a future employer?!!!

;-)

No way! THe Pave dudes know the LORs...and now the Talon I guys (rumor is their SQ CC and DO are LOR happy - even with them closing down in a week..)

RedDogC130 said:
DTFL....help another J brother out with a job.

Im still furloughed! I got nuthin :-(
I need Jackal to help ME with a job...then I can help everyone else! :-o

Still working the SOF desk dtfl?

I will see you on friday afternoon.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back