Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hyper

We got "change" alright.
I originally posted this on the interview-general page but haven't generated any responses. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Letters of Recommendation

From whom should these letters be written? An old employer? Someone that has known you personally but never flown with you? Someone that can attest to your flying skills? If so, could it be just another pilot, maybe someone that you instructed with long ago? How about an examiner?

What exactly are the employers looking for? I would think that they would want letters from someone that has known you for some time and can attest to your character and moral standards. I figure they're going to see how you fly in the sim anyway, but I had someone tell me that they wanted to see people that have flown with you recommend. That's a slim few when most of those have only been your family, students and examiners while you're job is single pilot ops.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks

Hi...

Look into your recent past and I'm certain you can find some people who can attest to your professionalism, skills, etc.

I worked closely with, and have had a good reputation with a few FAA Examiners. As I was about to make the transition to a different employer, I asked them if they would draft LOR's for me. They were happy to.

I also asked the Chief Pilot where I was to do the same and he agreed as well.

Several friends had gone to 121 carriers and were happy to help with anything they could, too.

Point is, there are people you have flown with and worked along side that can help you with this. It doesn't necessarily have to be an employer from an aviation related field, by the way. A previous employer can be helpful as testimony to your integrity, work ethic, etc...

Good luck

Thanks for the inpuT. Hey, with that avatar, shouldn't your name be "flymach3+"? ;)

LORs

Try to get LORs from all of your employers. A good letter of reference from an employer or someone from within the company can stave off an unwanted reference check if you fear that you might be given a negative reading.

Get them from your buds who work for the company for which you want to work. Those kinds of LORs are almost as good as a personal introduction to the pilot recruiter.

Get them from any instructors with whom you worked well. They can testify to your study ethic, willingness to learn and ability to learn.

Finally, try to get letters from any aviation bigshot who knows you reasonably well. I don't mean asking Chuck Yeager for one after you had your picture taken with him, but someone in higher-echelon management or any high level of authority. Sincere letters from such people are always impressive.

Good luck with your job search.

Hi...

Anytime, Hyper....good luck!

And at Mach 2 we're at economy cruise....:)

C-ya

Thanks to you too, Bobbysamd

Do you guys think dates play into the letters at all. In other words, would it matter if I brought a copy of a letter to a potential employer that was written months ago? Would it really matter. If you're spending allot of time job hunting, it is possible to have letters that associates wrote for you dated a while back.

Thanks

LORs

You bet, my friend.

I cannot see where recency of the letter makes any difference. In fact, it might be better because the letters can help document your work history. I still have LORs from nearly thirty years ago. People do move around and you might want to include contact information for the people who write your letters.

I know this is obvious, but I will say it anyway. Where appropriate, people should be sure to write their letters on company letterhead. Letterhead clearly enhances credibility. A letter on plain paper is still better than no letter at all.

Latest resources

Back