Looming Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
leardawg said:
If the VLJ Air Taxi industry takes off as hoped, that might create a demand (unless offset by airline shrinkage). The question is will a furloughed 737 Captain be willing to fly an Eclipse from BCT-DTS for 45K.

This ex-737-Captain would. I spent the past week on my knees tiling floors and running baseboard. F that.

NuGuy said:
Hey FN,

You don't have a dog named "Big Jim Slade" do ya?

Nu
...and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!

lowtimedriver said:
Great! I'm turning 49 in a couple of weeks, I'll doing my check ride for my PPL in August. I have a great career ahead of me, probably flying F-27's for Namibia.
Are you really turning 49?

Good luck and press on with your dream! There's a lot of good jobs out there, don't overlook 135 as a career. It's not all night flying with junky airplanes, but to get those better 135 jobs you'll need at least twice the mins of the regionals or know somebody.

frog_flyer said:
what military pilot is going to go to a regional? (other than one who doesn't have 1000 pic, but thats rare, no?)
I did it....plenty of PIC, also. I wasn't alone. Timing is everything.

Now that all the contracts have been raped (by willing whores in a lot of cases), and the companies out there are emerging from CH.11, the inevitable swing to the pendulum will continue. YIP has been calling this one for a couple of years now, and although the QOL won't be what it was circa 2000, there's going to be a lot of seats needing to be filled....age 65 or not.

fromunda said:
If you don't like it, why don't you find another board? This board if for pilots, not wannabes. You have 1900 posts and no ratings. How freaking funny is that?

It's posers like you that drive away real content on this board.

Metro doesn't complain about the boards, but pilots complain about their jobs.
I find it pretty funny that when someone makes a statement like "if you don't like your job, then get out" people jump all over them, but never address why they stay in a vocation that they do not like.

Some people are getting smart and getting out. Others that I know hate it, hated it when they first got on, and will keep on hating it until they die or retire. To these people, I have a swift kick in the nuts cuz I'm sick of dealing with ya.

Ill Mitch said:
Metro doesn't complain about the boards, but pilots complain about their jobs.
I find it pretty funny that when someone makes a statement like "if you don't like your job, then get out" people jump all over them, but never address why they stay in a vocation that they do not like.

Some people are getting smart and getting out. Others that I know hate it, hated it when they first got on, and will keep on hating it until they die or retire. To these people, I have a swift kick in the nuts cuz I'm sick of dealing with ya.

I wouldn't get on Metro, because he's entitled to his opinion.

Yip and I have discussed this on a few occasions. The reason I don't get out is because I don't possess the training or skills to do anything else at this point or the desire to learn anything new. This is a job to me and it has always been that way. Even the military was merely a means to an end.

If, in a perfect world, I could economically cover my needs while fixing all the things about being a commercial pilot that I don't like, I'd leave today. But it isn't going to happen.

And before I get the comment "you must be a real joy to be on a trip with" yada yada yada...

I'm the kind of guy that you'd want to be on a trip with, because I never talk about airplanes or the company. Truth is, I don't care much about either.

As far as you kicking anyone in the nuts...might I suggest decaf?

purpleinMeM and most of you other reasonable guys, that "dont like it, get out," isnt pointed at you, its aimed at the guys who in every post say this or that sucks blah blah blah

i've been doin demolition(ha smashing stuff and ripping out floors) in disgusting trailers so i can afford gas to get to the airport

What not talk about airplanes what other reason is there for living. I still spend my free time hanging around airports.

Metro, im with you. Just because these guys have been in the industry for 10 or 20 years doesnt mean anything. what did those riddle kids say after graduating the CAPT. program with 200 hours "some say that there is no substitution for experience, we disagree, we dont think experience equals judgement." I would say go for it, and sign on. Just make sure your mom and dad dont turn your bedroom into an office anytime soon. You're on an aviation forum, if you dont want to hear other peoples opinion of the current state of the industry then dont log on. Maybe after you get a rating or a job or something you can throw your opinion around here too.

Latest resources

Back