• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like Gulfstream got the WSJ's attention

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The PIC is the FINAL authority as to the operation of an aircraft. Arguing about whether it is legal is here nor there. None of us was the PIC on that particular flight. It is a poor commentary on an airline that will not back it's PICs. Of course, this seems to be most companies nowadays. An airline that chooses to make an example of someone who, made a safety decision in good faith, is not one I'd put my family on. I hope WSJ exposes the S*** out of this outfit and those like it. Getting rid of these will definitely be an overall safety improvement for the entire industry.

PIC: The tray table is broke and that is BS. I don't work for a place that has that little concern for passenger comfort.

Chief Pilot: The tray table is deferred. That's it. Take the flight or we'll find someone who will.

PIC: Fine, I'm outta here. I can't believe this type of operation even exists.

YOU ALL: How do you not support the PIC dicission? Are you communist? You're DANGEROUS! Oh my gosh, you're what's wrong with this industry....

This is why I shouldn't troll around in the regional threads. You all (the ones posting against flying with a deferred TCAS) are inexperianced shinny jet blah blah blah. I don't care anymore. Take you're stupid RJ's and enjoy you're 100% TCAS rate.

Don't bother to respond as I'm out. Out out out. See ya. Remind me to never fly 121 again.

You left without answering my hot day/no APU question. Reason: you couldn't answer it without admitting even you have to use some occasional judgement without just reading a book that management handed you. The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies' room.

obviously something wasn't warranted as the court case with the individual at question is already over an he lost. gia must of had a substantial reason to fire this individual

You're captain on a CRJ200. It's 85 degrees outside ... APU is deferred. Perfectly legal. It's in the MEL. ... Do you go?

I refused a 1900 with a broken freon system for exactly that reason. The thing was dark blue, had been baking in the sun for three hours, and was like opening a blast furnace when we opened the cabin door. As anyone who's flown it knows, without the vapor cycle system, only your ankles will get any cool air in a 1900. The rest of the vents will be like hair dryers.

Oh, both the gate agents and the company tried to convince me to go. "But it's only a short taxi! Besides, won't it get cool at altitude?"

"Half of us will be dead before we even leave the ramp. If I put my dog inside this aircraft I'd be arrested for animal abuse."

That ended the conversation. They fixed the air and we left an hour late.

I'm a good bit older than you might think. Anyway, let's try some examples. You're captain on a CRJ200. It's 85 degrees outside, dewpoint 80 (humid as he'll), there's a money line that looks to be in excess of two hours long, and the APU is deferred. Perfectly legal. It's in the MEL. Do you go?
Thats a daily occurrence at Piedmont in the summer. Never heard anyone getting in trouble for not going, although I wouldnt be surprised if they did.

Thats a daily occurrence at Piedmont in the summer. Never heard anyone getting in trouble for not going, although I wouldnt be surprised if they did.

I have grounded 3 planes (Piedmont) over the last 3 summers due to heat and not once did I ever have a problem with the company telling me to fly it.

I'm a good bit older than you might think. Anyway, let's try some examples. You're captain on a CRJ200. It's 85 degrees outside, dewpoint 80 (humid as he'll), there's a money line that looks to be in excess of two hours long, and the APU is deferred. Perfectly legal. It's in the MEL. Oh, and you've got 17 wheelchairs--something about a WWI reunion. And the chief pilot just called and said refusing the aircraft is not an option as the company completion factor is in the toilet. Do you go?
Absolutely. Why should I subject myself to the hassle of dealing with an angry CP and lots of irritated passengers? If the CP said take it, I'd take it. I'd taxi out, and ten minutes later when the heat began to rise dangerously, I'd taxi back to the gate with the documentation to show that I was right. It's all the same to me, I'm pay protected, and after enough gate returns the company would get the message and fix the APUs. Some of you people get wound up way too tight over this stuff. :)

I have never heard of any airline (majors included) where an item can be deferred and a pilot gets to trump the MEL out of hand.

Absolutely false. You don't know what you're talking about. I've personally seen several captains turn down aircraft due to items that were MEL'able, yet in their opinion the item in question was required for safe conduct of the flight. Period. Dot. End of discussion. I have myself, personally turned down aircraft with MEL items for exactly the same reason.

Please tell us what company you work for that does not allow their Captains to exercise their judgment (on the safer side) concerning the airworthiness of the aircraft, because I don't want me or my family flying on it.

No you don't. Find me a reg and I'll buy you a beer.

oh, and notice the quotes around my calling myself "This Captain". I was making a point to the guy I was responding to. He referred to himself as "this Captain" in his post and I thought it a tad over the top.

I wasn't referring to a reg; rather the CRJ type you have listed. It is in the CRJ MEL...which is what we were talking about right...MEL's?

I don't follow the FAR's these days...

obviously something wasn't warranted as the court case with the individual at question is already over an he lost. gia must of had a substantial reason to fire this individual

He was an "at will" employee, which means he wasn't covered by a contract, personal or collectively bargained. The only things he couldn't be fired for are race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, family status, disability, veteran status, or genetic information. GIA could have fired him for not tying his shoelaces properly and been within their rights...that doesn't make it right though.

Latest resources

Back