• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks Like DAL Is Staying At DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said, Comrade Flop. The government should decide everything for the "cross section of humanity" that inhabits the US. They should decide who has reason enough to travel, and then pick who actually gets to do it, along with how much they should pay. Some people just don't have a good enough reason to fly--they just think they do. Idiots.

And you're right; they certainly should never have built another, bigger airport in the Dallas area, despite the Texas population nearly tripling from 9.6 million in 1960 to 27.5 million in 2015. With the government only allowing the party faithful to travel, Love Field would surely be sufficient.

Thank God we have Flopgut (and the government) around to tell us, and give us, what we really need.

Bubba

Bubba wins, Game, Set and Match. :D:D:D:beer:

Floppy loses . . . Summer School. :erm::erm::erm::mad::mad:

You're welcome Bubba. I'm here for you anytime. Keep staring out L1 at these new places you're flying and your worldview will surely evolve.

Like Argentina, Cuba, and North Korea?

:laugh:

Last edited:
A job created to fly the jobless around is all deregulation has amounted to. The cross section of humanity participating in air travel these days is a sad one. We spread more hate, disease and enable the participants of lowly or futile acts than empower any amount of anything positive.
It's time to hang it up Sir. You are clearly defeated and miserable. Life is too short spend it doing something for which you harbor such contempt.

It's just election season Howard. Not to go political...

*Google "southwest airlines bernie sanders" that'll make you a proud spirit warrior

And I know how much you love links:

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...y-triumphed-over-evidence-us-airline-industry

Enjoy! Now, find two or three sentences in there you can quote back to me, out of context of course (and please don't spare the red font!), and we'll meet back here in a couple days.

Last edited:
It's just election season Howard. Not to go political...

*Google "southwest airlines bernie sanders" that'll make you a proud spirit warrior

And I know how much you love links:

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...y-triumphed-over-evidence-us-airline-industry

Enjoy! Now, find two or three sentences in there you can quote back to me, out of context of course (and please don't spare the red font!), and we'll meet back here in a couple days.
You can wax nostalgic for the good old days before deregulation but those days are long gone and never coming back! The days of no competition and guaranteed profits are a remnant of the past. An airline actually has to compete now and I realize that frightens the hell out of you. Don't worry, airlines can still request restraining orders and drag new entrants to the market through years of bogus legal proceedings in order to avoid competition.

Hmmmm

The first transgression on pure competition (post deregulation) was American and Braniff not being allowed to go back into Love when SWA stayed. It's well documented and indesputable, SWA would have been put out of business if true competition had been allowed. You are what you detest.

Hmmmm

The first transgression on pure competition (post deregulation) was American and Braniff not being allowed to go back into Love when SWA stayed. It's well documented and indesputable, SWA would have been put out of business if true competition had been allowed. You are what you detest.

"Well documented and indesputable"? How about actually documenting a single case of what you claim, Flop? Oh, that's right--you can't. Repeating a disproven lie over and over is never going to make it true.

The fact is, that both Braniff and American (not to mention Texas International and your beloved Continental) preferred endless and meritless litigation--not to mention collusion and other dirty tricks, including illegal ones--to avoid actually having to compete with Southwest. Face it Flop--your airline is the one with the criminal record, not mine.

Bubba

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eps01

It was many things, but certainly not "meritless". Read the sequence of events, things could have easily gone the other way*

Take the media slant out of like the above and compare to what's happening today [thread topic]. I'd say SWA isn't too differently behaved now than those it fought 40 years ago. Who's frivolously suing who now Bubba? Which airline is trying to tell others what airport to fly from? *and they might sooner than later;)

Last edited:
If an individual could buy a 737, fly it between 3 cities in TX, with almost no regulation or oversight, would airlines fight it? Something like an Uber sort of thing. I would hope it would be fought, because its not a level playing field. That's what SWA was in the early days when it had a TX only operating certificate.

Hmmmm

Well, considering the fact that the original Branniff ceased operation 3 years and change after deregulation went into effect I can't consider that airline a juggernaut that couldn't be competed with. Couple that with the fact that American did in fact return to serve Love Field, along with Continental, your premise is fatally flawed.

The only thing that prevented American and Braniff unfettered access to Love Field was American and Braniff. As early as 1940, American and Braniff negotiated a deal to build an airport between Dallas and Ft. Worth. As you well know, in 1968 all the airlines operating at Love Field signed an agreement to move their operations to DFW when it opened. They weren't coerced into signing that document, they did it freely without reservation. It was clearly evident that the business model envisioned by both airlines deemed Love unsuitable for their proposed expansion.

Latest resources

Back