Looking to get Glider rating....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skywriter70

Commercial airline pilot looking to get his glider rating. Wrong time of year, live in texas. Was seriously considering getting it in the spring. What might I expect for cost & time???? Any good places in the greater DFW area?

Commercial airline pilot looking to get his glider rating. Wrong time of year, live in texas. Was seriously considering getting it in the spring. What might I expect for cost & time???? Any good places in the greater DFW area?

Texas you should be a able to find clubs operating year round. Winter is actually not a bad time to do training flights because the air is smoother and there is less demand on club aircraft by regular members looking to go soaring.

A commercial pilot should have no problems getting up and running inside of 5-10 good flights. Not sure how many hours/flights are required to get a full glider endorsement ticket punched however. Figure on about $35 or so a tow; maybe $50 a flight if you factor in membership dues and/or per minute aircraft charges for each training flight.

Commercial operations are typically more money to go to than clubs.

Commercial add on is 10 dual flights and then 20 solo flights. That's it. Keep in mind, there is no time requirement, so a "flight" can be as simple as a pattern tow which only takes about 10 minutes to complete each time.

I did mine two summers ago, for around $2000 including a 1 time club buy in fee of $500.

Latest resources

Back