Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyzimex

Hi guys

I am looking for info on skydive operators flying the DHC-6 Twin Otter.

I just got an email last week from my employer that at the moment they have no need for my services. I was freelancing for a Swiss company operating for oil companies in the Sahara.

I have 5 years of experience on the beast, accumulating 2200+ hrs out of which 1300 are from the left seat. TT is 5200 hrs. I have gone through the DHC-6 Initial at FSI Toronto and will go back for recurrent at the end of February.

I live in Dallas and mainly looking for work around here, but if the conditions are right I can be away for "contract" trips if needed. Just trying to make ends meet.

I have come across Skydive Dallas, just north of where I live. Any info on them, and if so, who to contact?

Any and all info is appreciated,

FZ

Try Carolina Sky Sports. They provide twotters and crew for many DZs across the country.

Thanks TWA, I'll look into that :beer:.

Edit: Well I guess that was a dead end. They ceased ops September last year :(.

I vaguely recall a while back, an outfit in Guthrie, OK looking for Otter pilots, can't remember what the name was, seems like they did weather mod or something.......sorry, don't have time to keep looking right now.

The Closest DHC-6 operator I can think of to you is probably skydive spaceland in Houston, Last I checked about 1 month ago was they were pretty full up on pilots, but it could change anytime (as anyone is the skydiving business knows well ^-^). A note on skydive operators if you haven't ever flown for one before.... Most operators like a lot of skydive experience before flying their twins regardless of how much time you have in type. I heard A guy in FL says that he can teach a jump pilot to fly his king air, but has diffuculty teaching a king air pilot how to fly jumpers... Good Luck!

The national skydiver membership organization's website is www.uspa.org . It has a drop zone directory with links to each drop zone's website and most of them mention what type of aircraft they operate. Best of luck.

I would also try Skydive San Marcos too.

Alrite guys, thanks a bunch. I'm also in SimuFlite's right seat program on the Bravo so I will have to weigh which will be more beneficial to me in the long run. Jet "experience" and networking, or a few dollars dropping jumpers.

I'm not sure how it's here in the US, but in Europe dropping skydivers is not the most lucrative thing for a pilot to do. What can one expect here as far as pay? Obviously it depends on the operator..

I would try Skdive Spaceland. They have a few -6's that they lease around, so it might be a traveling position. Unfortunately its difficult to go right into a slot without having previous jump pilot experience. Most of these slots are filled by jump pilots who have paid their dues learning to spot in 182's, 206's, caravan's, etc. I flew the 300 series as a contract pilot and usually made around 30,000 a year. Not great, but not too shabby for all VFR work and a ton of sitting around.

Latest resources

Back