Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kingsize

Always looking for more
I am looking for a job sometime in the next 12 months. With only 1800 hours, 1000 of which are PIC (aircraft commander), what airline/job would give me a serious look? All of my time is multi-engine, military, heavy, tactical flying. 1500 hours are in crew aircraft. I have significant oceanic flying experience (significant part of my hours anyways), and a little international experience. I do not yet have an ATP. All of this flying is over the span of about 9 years time, with periods of inactivity due to non-flying assignments.

I have looked at Cathay, Emirates, and a bunch of other big airlines around the world, but my hours just don't meet their mins. How negotiable are they with requirements? Do they factor any multiples for military flying, particularly for heavy tactical work like low level, aggressive maneuvering? Does being an American bomber pilot work for or against me?

If my total time is just flat out too low for a major foreign carrier, where is a good overseas option where I can build some time for a year or two before applying to the majors? Are there any corporate options out there?

Quality of life is hugely important, which is a big part of why I am looking at leaving the military. I am interested in a big, fun city with lots of beautiful women, easy travel options, and a cost of living where I can stretch a dollar. Pay is not that important right now, and I would be totally willing to be inexpensive labor if it set me up for a big job in a year or two.

Thanks for any responses. Looking for some honest feedback on my job search potential...

Cathay likes military time alot. My bud who is now in training had about the same you do with all his time in single engine, single seat aircraft. (Harrier and Goshawk). Do the online app and hope for the best. We will be hiring for some time to come. There can be a bit of wait between applying and getting the call. Be patient.

I am looking for a job sometime in the next 12 months. With only 1800 hours, 1000 of which are PIC (aircraft commander), what airline/job would give me a serious look? All of my time is multi-engine, military, heavy, tactical flying. 1500 hours are in crew aircraft. I have significant oceanic flying experience (significant part of my hours anyways), and a little international experience. I do not yet have an ATP. All of this flying is over the span of about 9 years time, with periods of inactivity due to non-flying assignments.

I have looked at Cathay, Emirates, and a bunch of other big airlines around the world, but my hours just don't meet their mins. How negotiable are they with requirements? Do they factor any multiples for military flying, particularly for heavy tactical work like low level, aggressive maneuvering? Does being an American bomber pilot work for or against me?

If my total time is just flat out too low for a major foreign carrier, where is a good overseas option where I can build some time for a year or two before applying to the majors? Are there any corporate options out there?

Quality of life is hugely important, which is a big part of why I am looking at leaving the military. I am interested in a big, fun city with lots of beautiful women, easy travel options, and a cost of living where I can stretch a dollar. Pay is not that important right now, and I would be totally willing to be inexpensive labor if it set me up for a big job in a year or two.

Thanks for any responses. Looking for some honest feedback on my job search potential...

I tried to send you a PM but your profile does not allow it. Let me know when it is enabled.

fv

fareview, enabled. Thank you for any help!

Bjammin, I've been reading threads on Cathay for a while and think I'd really enjoy flying for them and living in HK. What worries me is being hired on as a SO ...

Pay is not that important right now, and I would be totally willing to be inexpensive labor if it set me up for a big job in a year or two.

Please just stay away from the foriegn job market and not ruin it for us who actually are "expensive" labor! Thanks!

Last edited:
Please just stay away from the foriegn job market and not ruin it for us who actually are "expensive" labor! Thanks!
That's exactly what will ruin it--just like what happened in the U.S. market--low time new/wannabes coming over and flying for less...sound familiar?

Glad to see a mil pilot here, but, unfortunately, bling there has a point (Im sure it was an accident). Remember, this is still for the good of the squad, just dont sacrifice (kinda the opposite of mil life). Good luck!

PS Remember when the US was at war with some of the places pilots are taking work with?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I feel like I'm part of a union already, and I haven't even left the military yet.

So far, I've figured out I don't want to fly for China. Other than that, just about all other options are on the table.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel like I'm part of a union already, and I haven't even left the military yet.

So far, I've figured out I don't want to fly for China. Other than that, just about all other options are on the table.
Go to India. If you're looking to sell out and undercut expat pilots, better to degrade that market than any of the more discriminating, lucrative markets in Asia.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back