Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tarheel

Hey Folks
Looking for some advice/guidance/input re best way to get started with coast guard aviation. I'm retired USAF and now fly boxes, but have a son who is very interested in SAR helicopter flying for Coast Guard. Not really interested right now in long term civilian commercial flying. Currently sophomore in college.

Thanks in advance for you time and inputs

Best bet if he doesn't want to try to apply to the USCG Academy is OCS commisioning. Really his only option, competition is pretty competitive too or at least it was for a time.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-your-career/officer-opportunities/programs/officer-candidate-school

If I had to do it all over again, I'd seriously give the USCG a look. Best quality of life of all the services in my experience plus a whole different culture and mission.

Have him look into the Navy too if he's into helo flying. They do some seriously cool tactical stuff (think specwar), plus 60% of Naval Aviation is Helo's and again, best QOL in Naval Aviation as far as locations IMO.

Edit: He can also go fly helo's for another branch of service and when he's done with the tactical stuff do a DCO/Lat Txfr to the USCG. I know a few guys that have done that. Only down side is they usually require a cut in rank. Usually from O-3 to O-2, then work back up again.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-yo...rtunities/programs/direct-commission-programs

Last edited:
I retired from the CG 7 years ago after 23 years and it was a great ride. It is surprising how quickly my knowledge of the service became dated. As an Academy grad, I can't tell you much about the OCS path, but last I heard they don't give aviation guarantees, so it is a bit of a dice roll.

Best advice is to just wade into the recruiting system - most of it is geared to enlisted personnel intake, but they should hook him up with an officer recruiter that can lay out the OCS pathway and the chances of specifying aviation.

I was a fixed winger, but the helo guys have plenty to keep them busy. I always enjoyed the fact that we had a well rounded peace time mission. Lots of interesting places to fly and enjoy with a family. The CG Alaska & Florida shows give a good idea of what is going on out there. Good luck to your son.

MT

Latest resources

Back