Looking for C172 rentals in Chicago

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sparticusflt

I live in downtown Chicago, and I am currently looking for a good place to rent any sort of singles. Preferebly 172's. If anyone knows anything about the area I would appreciate it. From DPA or PWK. Thanks

re

Thanks guys. Do you happen to know how much they are charging? I can't get over how expensive GA has gotten over the past few years. Talked to one place and they were charging 115 for an old model 172. I just about fell over. Thanks again for your help

Chicago Rentals

Yes, GA flying has become very expensive and it is only going to get worse as insurance is going up for everyone. I, unfortunately do not have their current prices, but, I would venture to guess around $100.00.

As far as getting checked out again, well, who knows what the FAA is making them do now. But, if your current and have been checked out before - I'm sure it will be nothing more than, literally "up around the patch."

I was lucky enough today to go up in a Mooney with a friend of mine - it sure was fun! Makes me want to go out and buy one... if my "real" flying job was stable I would.

172s at PWK

Sparticus:

I am finishing up my Private license at PWK, and am flying at Windy City Flyers (www.windycityflyers.com). It is a flight club, and they have old and new 172s, Warriors, a Seminole, a couple of Cirrus', and just took in a 152. the newer 172s rent out for $115/tach hour, and the older 172s rent out for $92/tach hour. I would say that comes out to ~$90 and ~$70 per hobbs on the 172s, respectively. I think the 152 is something like $65/tach hour. I don't know if the above numbers are exact, but they are posted on the web site in either case.

You need to join the club ($495), and pay $33/month in dues. The upside is you can take the planes overnight or for the weekend, the maintenence seems good, the planes are safe, and the people are nice. I don't know how that compares to other places at DPA and PWK, but I assume it's pretty competitive?

Good luck and have fun. Let me know if you have any questions.

sparticusflt said:
I live in downtown Chicago, and I am currently looking for a good place to rent any sort of singles. Preferebly 172's. If anyone knows anything about the area I would appreciate it. From DPA or PWK. Thanks

I think your best bet is Northwest Aviation (06C),out of schaumburg,just west of O'hare.
I think that they are very reasonable and no control tower so you don't waste much time on the ground,they have new and old C-172,and the price range I think between $68 to somewhere in the higher $80's for the new one's.Man I feel like a salesman now. I better stop. their Phone#847-985-9777.and I don't work for them. ;)

Chicago Cessna Rental

Try Stick & Rudder in UGN!
Before moving to CA I was a member & instructor there...
It's by far the most reasonable place to rent around the city.
   (3)    152 $46.40
    (10)   172 $58.40
     (3)    172RG $66.80
     (1)    182RG $79.00
     (1)    Seneca I $104.65 Twin (dual only add $28/hour)

Commute: (non rush hour) UGN from Wicker Park >1:15
http://www.enteract.com/~srudder/

good luck!

Cheers
George

Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it. I'm gonna look into all those places. Spring is finally in Chicago and I feel like flying a single for fun. To bad Meigs doesn't have anything, of course it would be around 200 an hour for a 172. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 places. One in Clow and Schaumburg, and 1 in Dupage. I work in and out of MDW and think that it could get expensive sitting in line on the ground. Thanks again.

172 RENTALS

Glad to hear you narrowed your decision down, however, ground holds at Midway are limited - small airplanes usually takeoff from 31L, 22R, or 4L and rarely are affected by other traffic. Personally, I've experienced longer lines at smaller airports especially on beautiful, sunshining days.

Latest resources

Back