looking for a headset

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jacko123

Anyone know were to get the best deal on a plantronics M50 headset? (small headset with ear mold). I'm also wondering how to get my hands on a soft ear mold, instead of the hard plastic ear mold sold by Marv Gold.

jacko123 said:
Anyone know were to get the best deal on a plantronics M50 headset? (small headset with ear mold). I'm also wondering how to get my hands on a soft ear mold, instead of the hard plastic ear mold sold by Marv Gold.
I've got a couple of these that I've had for years. They work well, but depending upon what you're flying, they may not give you enough hearing protection. I used mine in airline and bizjet cockpits where they really worked well.

As far as where to buy a set, I'd simply check the usual mail-order pilot supply shops and perhaps e-bay. Prices on specialty stuff like that doesn't seem to vary very much from dealer to dealer.

You can get custom ear moulds made for them at any hearing aid shop.

'Sled

The headset will be for the MD-80, so it should work well. Any idea what a hearing aid store will charge.

jacko123 said:
The headset will be for the MD-80, so it should work well. Any idea what a hearing aid store will charge.

You can actually do the mold yourself. I will have to dig through my old paperwork but at AA we had a guy who did our ear molds for us. The first one he did for me didn't fit all that well so the company sent me a kit to redo the mold myself. It was really easy and the ear piece turned out great!

jacko123 said:
It's been too long ago, but I remember that it didn't seem very bad at the time. I've got two custom molded earpieces - one is a hard plastic, the other is more pliable. I'm not really sure which one I like better. I had mine molded with a little arm to clip the headset to so that I don't have to wear the headband. It's light enough to work very well that way. Get yourself a package of pipe cleaners to keep them clean.

'Sled

I use to have that same set up with a hard plasic mold and it hurt my ear. Maybe the mold didn't fit as well as it should have, but I still think the soft mold would be better for me. I just havent seen anywere that sells the soft mold.

jacko123 said:
I use to have that same set up with a hard plasic mold and it hurt my ear. Maybe the mold didn't fit as well as it should have, but I still think the soft mold would be better for me. I just havent seen anywere that sells the soft mold.
Like I said, I just went to the local hearing aid shop and they took a mold of my ear. Those guys are pretty good - that's what they do for a living.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back