Looking for a dispatch position in Atlanta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks ASQMatt

Checked with ASA after passing dispatch written, they only hire licenced dispatcher, no trainees, even though I am a commercial rated pilot with 400+ hours and about 2 semester from my BS in Aviation Science. Another one of those situations where can't be commercial pilot or dispatcher without experience, and you can't get experience unless your a pilot or dispatcher. Also they apparentently don't like their dispatchers to move to pilot positions once they reach minimums either.

Last edited:
well, to be employed as a dispatcher, you have to be licensed. You might be able to get on with World as an assistant or something.

rpatte1637 said:
Another one of those situations where can't be commercial pilot or dispatcher without experience, and you can't get experience unless your a pilot or dispatcher.
Not true.

1. Get your license
2. Get a job as either a dispatch asst. or a dispatcher
3. Get experience
4. Move up as you gain experience

You WILL NOT obtain a dispatch position without a license.
You CAN obtain a dispatch postition without any experience.

rpatte1637 stated: "Also they apparentently don't like their dispatchers to move to pilot positions once they reach minimums either."

Untrue statement rpatte1637! ASA has encouraged and fought for 2 dispatchers to get to the flight line - by the way, Dispatchers have CERTIFICATES - not a license.

rpatte1637 stated: "Checked with ASA after passing dispatch written, they only hire licenced dispatcher, no trainees, even though I am a commercial rated pilot with 400+ hours and about 2 semester from my BS in Aviation Science. Another one of those situations where can't be commercial pilot or dispatcher without experience, and you can't get experience unless your a pilot or dispatcher"

At ASA, we hire dispatchers with GEDs to Ph'Ds, experienced to no experience, we don't care - as long as they have the certificate and are good canadates! SKC is right - you will not obtain a dispatchers position without the certificate. Experience not required (over 70% of our dispatchers were hired with no experience).

I am a commercial rated pilot and was hoping to gain a little related experience while trying to reach pilot minimums. I have to complete 700 plus hours of co-operative work experience for my degree and wanted to do something that would be useful in my education and flying career. I did not expect to be a full fledged dispatcher, but more or less a trainee. The reply I receive back is why I was surprised about them not wanting people who eventually plan to be pilots.

Currently we are hiring dispatchers for a June class. However, you must possess an aircraft dispatcher certificate to be a dispatcher for ASA – the written will not suffice.

I do have a recommendation: When applying for a dispatch position, try to avoid stating you eventually would like to be a pilot. Normally, folks who interview want a person who is making a career choice to be a dispatcher.

Good Luck and let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Last edited:
ASA has historically hired certificated dispatchers that have several thousand hours, several pilot ratings, etc.. We love dispatchers with flying experience even though it is not required. What is required is the dispatcher certificate!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back