Look! A plane takes off from a moving runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel said:
ps in all fareness i never read the other thread. But i never really cared about the psychics one of the best pilots taught me this and it works.
Diesel, all you did was substitute the dolly/trailer for a set of wheels. The physics question that this thread aludes to, is alltogether different from your situation. This thread was only a joke, then buffet decided to take up the original subject and argue the already proven incorrect point.

Wow, I posted a response to Diesels post (#38) and mine now shows up AHEAD of his at #37. Freaky

edit, it did it again. I guess I should have read the announcement :D

Last edited:
I've done this a bunch of times. What would happen in the fall we would land the floatplane in the grass and then take the floats off with a hoist in the hanger put skiis on it and it would be good for the winter months.

In the summer we would hoist the plane back up put the floats on. By the way we never got them straight. We would then lower the plane onto a big flat wide trailer kind of like what helicopters would land on.

We would then tow it to the end of the runway with the engine running behind a pickup truck. The pickup truck would slowly gain speed down the runway as i would add more and more power. You had to stay right on the rudders because our runway sucked and as the plane got lighter the plane would start to vibrate to the left and to the right. You wouldn't want it falling off the trailer before you got up enough airspeed.

As you got to 60kts you would slowly pull off in ground effect and bear the right. (this way you could see where the truck was) the truck would keep going until you were well clear and you'd be all set. Fly the plane down to the lake and you were done.

Did this for both planes twice a year for a 172 and a 180. I've got some pics I'll dig around and post. Really great of me going right over the cab in the pickup truck.

ps in all fareness i never read the other thread. But i never really cared about the psychics one of the best pilots taught me this and it works.

Last edited:
enigma said:
what's the coefficient of friction on those dolly wheels?

If an ex-mil, now 747 driver builds a mini dolly and places it on a treadmill, what scale of 208 model must he buy in order to perform a scientifically valid test?

A 1/50th scale of a chevy dirt mobile to be exact. By the way the video is a fake, I can prove it.

Well if that video is fake. The pictures my boss took from the bed of a pickup truck of me doing the exact same thing is a fake too.

It's really not that big of a deal in the woods. We do a lot more stupider things than that.

My first time doing it i did it alone. My boss talked me through it and then said good luck.

This thread is STILL GOING? Please, get a life. If you fail to find one, at least read the other tread that mirrors this one.

ahhh gotcha. I should at least read through the whole post. :)

Yea, I just joshing ya. This entire thing is funny epilogue to the moving runway thread.
Asquared and I had a fun time debating the moving runway thing for a couple months. I don't think we ever reached absolute common ground, but we widdled it down.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back