Look! A plane takes off from a moving runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dash8driver said:
if chuck norris got outta showbiz and quit making crappy movies and tv shows, would anyone notice?

No...but if he quit making crappy infomercials too???

-mini

what's the coefficient of friction on those dolly wheels?

If an ex-mil, now 747 driver builds a mini dolly and places it on a treadmill, what scale of 208 model must he buy in order to perform a scientifically valid test?

Chuck Norris can quit the infomercial business anytime, but I vote to keep the chick that co-stars!

Ezralite said:
Is it a mini-Ditka or full size?
Mini-Ditka, in a wheelchair.

Ralgha said:
No, actually, it wouldn't be like that at all, but I'll let you go read the other massive thread on this subject to figure out why.

Care to post a link? I tend to agree with buffettck. Tread mill is a perfect example in my mind.

Flysher said:
Care to post a link? I tend to agree with buffettck. Tread mill is a perfect example in my mind.

If the search function works, several weeks of thread was here. Then it jumped to an aviation magazine and so forth.

But in the end, visualize that the air mass isn't traveling backwards like the belt. The prop pulls the aircraft through the airmass, while the wheels just freely spin up for the ride.

Initially, I didn't think it would go anywhere either.

buffettck said:
Yeah, and let's look at this incredibly stupid scenario from the side with, say, a building in the background. Sure, that airplane is going to get up to rotation speed on the "treadmil runway" speedometer...

Anyone who believes that plane is going to magically lift off with ZERO airspeed (no ambient wind) and in the same relative position to the building in the background doesn't even belong inside an airport boundary...
I'm having a bit of a problem deciding which side you're arguing.

Actually this present thread is mostly a joke, a sarcastic remembrance of the original FOURTY, or more, page thread that beat this issue till it was dead and buried.

If you care, search for the first thread and read up on it.

BTW, Not one person who originally said, "it WILL fly" changed their mind; while about ninety percent of those who were first in the "it will NOT fly" camp did change their mind after being exposed to logic and science.

regards

buffettck said:
The aircraft WILL not take off. The airplane is NOT moving over the ground or in relation to the surrounding air mass.

There is "ground speed" under the wheels, but NO airspeed at all (no wind day) flowing over the wings, therefore no derived lift.

Hence, my previous quote concerning anyone believing that a plane will lift off a runway moving in exactly the opposite direction as the thrust (i.e. running/treadmill effect) does not belong inside an airport boundary!
I'm going to be nice and make this my only reply to your assertion. You're making a fool of yourself. I won't go further because I see that your profile shows that you've only been here for a couple of months.

As others have stated, this issue was discussed for forty some odd pages last year. Out of hundreds of persons weighing in, only about one ended up believing that the airplane would not fly.

Here, I'll help out the search impaired.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=66860&page=2&highlight=moving+runway

And,

ASquared said:
Uhhhh, guys. the plane will fly. yeah, it got me too when I first read it, because I didn't really think it through, but geez now that it's been explained, if you're still arguing that it won't fly you need to sit down take a deep breath and think about it a little. It doesn't matter what the treadmill runway is doing, the plane gets it's forward speed through the air with it's prop. the treadmill runway doesn't affect that one bit. You need ... say 60 knots to fly, the prop accelerates the plane to 60 knots. period. It really doesn't matter if it's wheels are turning 60 knots or 120, the wheels don't drive the airplane. You guys have been fooled by the question and you're not thinking it through.

Just remember.... a wise man once said

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because, to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

And if you can figure out what I mean, well, good for you.

hint: the plane will fly off the treadmill just like a plane taking off from a runway not like a rotorcraft.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back